Single tier brew stand use question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting either a single tier, or two tier, brew stand (soon I hope). My question is more along the lines of how you transfer the wort form the MLT to the BK as well as from the HLT to MT? Is it as simply as running via a pump between them all? Do you regulate the flow via the ball valves on the kettles?

Right now I'm using keggles and such to brew (boil keggle, mash tun keggle, 10 gallon BoilerMaker for the HLT). I'm looking to the future with the stand configuration (getting it able to upgrade to 1bbl batch sizes). As such, I need to get this aspect ironed out now. I know I can use a two tier and use gravity to feed the MT from the HLT (I do that now). Going from the MT to BK can be done (at my current batch size) via gravity too. But once I go above my current equipment set, that won't be as much of an option.

So, stand owners/users, how do you do it?

I'm looking at getting either a single tier, or two tier, brew stand (soon I hope). My question is more along the lines of how you transfer the wort form the MLT to the BK as well as from the HLT to MT? Is it as simply as running via a pump between them all? Do you regulate the flow via the ball valves on the kettles?

Right now I'm using keggles and such to brew (boil keggle, mash tun keggle, 10 gallon BoilerMaker for the HLT). I'm looking to the future with the stand configuration (getting it able to upgrade to 1bbl batch sizes). As such, I need to get this aspect ironed out now. I know I can use a two tier and use gravity to feed the MT from the HLT (I do that now). Going from the MT to BK can be done (at my current batch size) via gravity too. But once I go above my current equipment set, that won't be as much of an option.

So, stand owners/users, how do you do it?

I used to have a two-tier. I used a pump to go from HLT to MLT, and then gravity drain to the BK. I used the pump then for the CFC.

I added a second pump, and made it a single tier. I like having two pumps, and I sometimes batch sparge or sometimes fly sparge, and it works great. I have a HERMS, so I throttle back the output of the pump so it recirculates more slowly than full blast.

I have a valve on the outlet side of my current pump (the one I use) to feed my plate chiller. I have another motor, but need a new head for it.

So, sounds like I could do a single tier and just use those valves to control flow rate. How about from HLT and MLT to the pumps? I'm concerned only because I'm using the standard issue silicone tubing right now. If there's much of any back-pressure on them, they start to balloon up. I suppose I could get the stronger stuff to run the hoses. Or even go to stainless tubing (when I have the cabbage).

I have some silicon from McMaster-Carr, as well as the quick disconnects, and they've never balloned on me.

You need two pumps if you're fly sparging on a single tier. If you're batch sparging, one pump would be enough, or if you have a two-tier set up.

I haven't had any issues with throttling back the output side of the pumps at all. You never want to impede the flow between the vessel and the "in" of the pump, though.

I normally have one pump that I use to go from the HLT to the MLT, and to run the HERMS. I have it sitting right below the HLT. I have the second pump between the MLT and the BK. I use that one for moving wort from MLT to BK, and to the chiller.

It's not fancy, but it works! Here's a photo, so you can see the pumps and where everything is set up:

dscn0313-56565.jpg

The HLT is bottom draining, and the valve is just to the upper left of the first pump. The MLT is bottom draining, too, and the outlet is above and in front of the pump.

Do you happen to remember which tubing from McMaster-Carr you got?

Oh, man, no I don't. But I was thinking about something- when I replace it, I'm going to get the "clear" tubing from Bobby_M. When I make a dark beer it's not an issue, as I can see the wort, but when I make a light beer I can not see when the wort is in the tubing and I've ended up running a pump dry once or twice (or more :drunk:). But I can try to dig out my old receipts and find the parts numbers for the QDs and the tubing.

Oh, man, no I don't. But I was thinking about something- when I replace it, I'm going to get the "clear" tubing from Bobby_M. When I make a dark beer it's not an issue, as I can see the wort, but when I make a light beer I can not see when the wort is in the tubing and I've ended up running a pump dry once or twice (or more :drunk:). But I can try to dig out my old receipts and find the parts numbers for the QDs and the tubing.

I have all the QD's already (got my keggles plumbed up). I'll have to check with Bobby_M to see if his tubing will perform properly in this case. I know if I accidentally leave a valve closed (in the flow) the tubing before it starts to balloon. Not sure if it would do that if the valve is even opened a little bit. Sounds like a test needs to be done before my next brew day. :D

BTW, planning on turning a short 1/4bbl keg into my new HLT. Mostly since it will cover my Blichmann burner better than the 10 gallon BoilerMaker does. :eek:

Back