What kind of beer have I made??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmBrew

Reaction score
I ordered 2 all grain kits and specified the grains be crushed. The brew shop put the grains in the wrong boxes and I didn't realize it until it was too late. One was and Irish Red and the other American Wheat. So I used the grain bill of an American Wheat with the hops for the Irish Red and mashed at the temp of the IR and vice versa. Does this change the type of beer that I made?

What were the specific hops that got swapped and how many IBU's respectively did they add.
By Style American Wheats are hopped 15-30 IBU's and usually only 60 minute additions, also usually American style hops.
Irish Reds are hopped 17-28 IBU's, also usually don't have late hope additions but may have a small late English hops addition.

So basically the IBU's on the 2 hops switched are likely similar in number and both within the range of the other beer style, likely you put American hops in an English beer and vice versa, it will have a slightly different hop aroma than normal but won't be a big deal especially since neither style relies on big hop flavor as it's defining flavor.

agree - depending on the hops they gave you, it could be a very slight difference, but i hardly think its a big one. getting cascade in your irish red and fuggles in your wheat for example is going to change much.

Thanks fellas! After looking at the recipes again the anticipated ibu for the A. Wheat kit is 22 and for the Irish Red 26 so the difference should be minimal. The recipe for AW kit says 1oz Willamette for 60min .25 oz Centennial for flavor .5oz Centennial for aroma. IR is 1.25oz Willamette bittering and .5oz Willamette flavor. I sent the brew shop an email about the mistake and they sent me replacement kits! Guess I just got 4 kits for the price of 2.

Back