Malty tastes Syrupy textures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iniquity

Reaction score
Hello All. I've brewed a few batches so far all have been used with extracts and steeping grains. So far so good, each one tastes pretty good except for one thing that has remained consistent throughout each brew. They all seem to have more of a malty taste and leave a syrupy texture in my mouth. This is OK but I'm wondering what causes this?

Any input is appreciated

Perhaps they did not ferment out all the way and a lot of sugar was left in the "finished" product?

Did you take gravity readings at the end of fermentation?

Hi Iniquity:

Fellow RIer here. I'm new to the hobby and have recently learned the wonder of creating a yeast starter...especially for beers over 1.060.

Without being an expert I think that many times for beers that have a FG above what they should its because new brewers have a tendency to underpitch yeast. Heck if it wasn't for this site I'd never know how important it is.

So I would look into creating a yeast starter for your next brews if you can (do a quick search on this site for tons of info or google how to brew by palmer).

Also, are you adding all the extract up front at the beginning of the boil. It's possible your getting an extract twang that can be reduced/eliminated by adding the most of the extract late in the boil instead.

Hope this helps and good luck

It could also be the extract you're using. Some of them have more unfermentable sugars than others.

Hi Iniquity:

Fellow RIer here. I'm new to the hobby and have recently learned the wonder of creating a yeast starter...especially for beers over 1.060.

Without being an expert I think that many times for beers that have a FG above what they should its because new brewers have a tendency to underpitch yeast. Heck if it wasn't for this site I'd never know how important it is.

So I would look into creating a yeast starter for your next brews if you can (do a quick search on this site for tons of info or google how to brew by palmer).

Also, are you adding all the extract up front at the beginning of the boil. It's possible your getting an extract twang that can be reduced/eliminated by adding the most of the extract late in the boil instead.

Hope this helps and good luck

Hails Rhode Island!

A lot of what you are saying here I have actually done for my latest batch thats still in primary. I also have just finished reading How to Brew, a few batches to late I suspect.

I'm going to take on your suggestion of adding extract later in the boil. If the intuition of my tastes buds are any indication, than I think this might be the problem. Again, not that the beer tastes bad but they all have this one trait that I would really like to get rid of in my next brew.

On another note, what homebrew shop do you normally go to?

Latest posts

Back