Kellerbier Joe's Kellerbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoesInBoston

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
2 packets 34/70
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3-4SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 50F
Tasting Notes
Bready, slightly fruity/floral, little sweetness
8.5lbs Pale Malt
6oz Wheat Malt
6oz Crystal 10 Malt

0.6oz Magnum hops, 13.0%AA @ 90 minutes
1.0oz Hallertau Hersbrucker hops, 2.5%AA @ 1 minute

2 packets of 34/70 Lager yeast

Single infusion mash at 152 for 60 minutes. Collect enough wort to boil for 90 minutes. Chill to lager temps. Pitch yeast when temp is 50F. Ferment at 50F for 2 weeks. Carb to a low carb level, approx 1.8 to 2.0 volumes.

I just kegged this 2 days ago, picture and final tasting notes to follow. Initial notes upon kegging are: Lots of bready flavors, tiny bit of floral/fruitiness from the hops, leans more towards the sweet side of the IBU/OG spectrum though the crystal 10 is barely noticable.

3 weeks in, carbonation is where it should be. Not as much grainy flavor as before, though still noticeable. Floralness has dissipated. Fruitiness is still there, leaving me to believe it's a byproduct of the yeast and not from the hops. Still is on the slightly sweeter side of the balance spectrum.

Had a Kulmbacher Kellerbier this weekend at the local watering hole and I have to say my kellerbier is really close. Not exactly the same, but pretty darn close. I would probably add a dryhop of hallertau, bring the crystal down to 4oz and mash lower to make it a tiny bit dryer if I were to make it again.

20150706_155134.jpg

Latest posts

Back