Southern Tier Warlock extract clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadrunner00721

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm fairly new to homebrewing. I recently had a Southern Tier Warlock and found it amazing. I wanted to try and clone the beer and can't find a recipe for it anywhere online so I was hoping someone here could assist with a recipe for extract. It's a delicious imperial Stout with pumpkin, vanilla and cinnamon undertones. I appreciate your help.

Heres my all grain attempt last year. It was good, but not a clone. There was some discussion last year about ST using some sort of extract for the pumpkin spice flavor. I had a can of libbys in the mash and steeped cooked fresh pumpkin in my mash water for a hour or so.

For extract you can probably just sub out the pilsner for pils extract.

10.5 lb Pilsner (DE) Any Mash 38 1 °L
1.0 lb Caramel/Crystal 90L (US) Any Mash 33 90 °L
1.0 lb Munich - Light 10L (US) Any Mash 33 10 °L
0.75 lb Black Malt (US) Any Mash 28 500 °L
0.5 lb Melanoidin (DE) Any Mash 37 25 °L
0.25 lb Chocolate (UK) Any Mash 34 425 °L

1.75 oz Northern Brewer (US) 60 min Boil Pellet 9.0%
1.0 oz Hallertau (US) 15 min Boil Pellet 4.5%

1.5 tbs Pumpkin Pie Spice 5.0 min Boil
2.0 each Vanilla Beans 7.0 days Secondary

US05 for yeast

Well from their site we know its a 10% imperial stout, that is brewed with 4 different malts. I'd guess at two row, crystal 120, chocolate, maybe roasted barley?

I'm pretty close to Southern Tier and was considering visiting sometime this fall or winter. If I go and it still hasn't been settled, I'll try to get some information for you. You could also try and email them too to see if they'll get you started or let you know what kind of pumpkin spice/extract they used. This is also my favorite pumpkin beer. The pumpkin flavor isn't overpowering like some and it is very well balanced.

Heres my all grain attempt last year. It was good, but not a clone. There was some discussion last year about ST using some sort of extract for the pumpkin spice flavor. I had a can of libbys in the mash and steeped cooked fresh pumpkin in my mash water for a hour or so.

For extract you can probably just sub out the pilsner for pils extract.

10.5 lb Pilsner (DE) Any Mash 38 1 °L
1.0 lb Caramel/Crystal 90L (US) Any Mash 33 90 °L
1.0 lb Munich - Light 10L (US) Any Mash 33 10 °L
0.75 lb Black Malt (US) Any Mash 28 500 °L
0.5 lb Melanoidin (DE) Any Mash 37 25 °L
0.25 lb Chocolate (UK) Any Mash 34 425 °L

1.75 oz Northern Brewer (US) 60 min Boil Pellet 9.0%
1.0 oz Hallertau (US) 15 min Boil Pellet 4.5%

1.5 tbs Pumpkin Pie Spice 5.0 min Boil
2.0 each Vanilla Beans 7.0 days Secondary

US05 for yeast

This looks really good - what are your thoughts on using (and when?) this Graham Cracker Extract as well?

Back