Question on fg of first mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnmir

Reaction score
My first mead was started back on Mar 27. OG was 1.102. I used a pack of Lalvin D47 and added nutrient in three separate additions. Its been kept around 70degrees. The gravity has been at 1.022 since May 21st. Is it done? Does that seem reasonable for this yeast? Would it be a mistake to add a different yeast in hopes of achieving a semi sweet finish?

If the gravity hasn't changed in almost 2 months, I'd say it's done.

Do you think 1.022 would be too sweet for you?

Unless its totally dry bottle carbing is not an option
If it makes the yeast start again it can probably reach 1.000 or less and make some unstable bottle grenades of the whole batch

A yeast that will finish semi sweet may have bigger problems starting this late in the prosess then one that is capable to ferment it dry

Your fermentation stuck.
D47 is capable of fermenting to 14% ABV, so it will take 1.102 bone dry when managed appropriately. There could be several things contributing here - the first on my list would be low pH. If you provide the recipe details and processes including amounts of nutrients added, aeration, and so forth, we may be able to pinpoint other issues.

You have several choices with what to do with it including (but not limited to).
1) Keep it as is. To do this, you should probably stabilize with sorbate and sulfite. If it warms up, the yeast could certainly start up again if bottled like this.

2) Check pH and adjust if needed; add yeast hulls; aerate it; warm it a few degrees and see it you can get it going again.

3) Pitch another yeast to restart. You'll want to use one that's good for restarts such as Uvaferm 43, DV10, EC-1118, or QA23. You'll need to acclimate the yeast before pitching (and if the pH is really low, it'll work better if you adjust it up to at least 3.2). A yeast that will be successful in restarting is not going to leave it semi-sweet but will instead finish taking it dry. However, you can backsweeten to taste.

4) Rack onto some fruit. The extra nutrients, aeration, pH buffering and such may allow fermentation to pick up again, and if not, the acidity/flavors/tannins will help balance the sweetness.

Endeavor to persevere!
Medsen

Thank you for the detailed reply! I'm a brewer who got some local honey and should have read more...
I basically warmed the honey (not boiled) and water, chilled, pitched rehydrated yeast and added 50% of the recommended dose of superferment nutrient. Its been in the 68-72degree range. Tap water here is slightly carbonate hard. I added the rest of the nutrients in 2 doses about 2 wks apart. I'll have to get some ph test strips I doubt the beer mash ones have the right range.
Think its worth trying to restart?

Read Medsen's post a few more times and pick the option that works best for you. I would pick #4 because it requires the least amount of skill.

I am going to copy his post and keep it with my mead recipes in case one of my meads ever gets stuck, now I will know what options I have.

Back