Star San question??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
perhaps I did not hear the entire conversation (it's that attention disorder thing when I am in a beer store and the only thing I really care about is the next batch). he may have been referring to our tap water in Vegas which, well, is harder than Tiger Woods at a night club. He did not bring up the fact of using distilled water to do this is memory serves.

what is the best container to keep it in if you do want to store and reuse for a couple of months?

I buy 2.5 gallon containers of distilled water with the plastic/rubber "spout" on them. I pull the "spout" off and add the Starsan, then put the spout back on. These are the containers you are suppose to punch a hole in for vent, but I don't. I drain from the container into a spray bottle (you have to tip the container up and burp it occasionally with no vent). Once I dispense of of it, I don't pour any thing back into the 2.5 gallon container. I use PH test strips to check it occasionally (as I fill a spray bottle) but have never had a problem.

I keep a 5 gallon bucket with about 4 gallons of Star-San diluted. It's always handy for when I need to dunk or soak something. We have soft water and it lasts for a few months. After a while you can see a precipitate forming on the bottom of the container, that's when I make a new batch. You can also take a PH measurment, but I forget what the reading needs to be to remain effective, I think it might be PH of about 3.

:off:Its funny to hear everyone is so ainil about keeping equiptment clean:cross:my wife always says u keep ur beer crap clean but u cant clean the house.Im ainil in the first stages because of infections but once there is alchol im LAZY err....less cleanly, i've swapped kegs with a simple tap water rinse when pressed for time. In my somtimes sloppy opinion star san is one of the best sanitizers i've tried.

Back