Chest Freezer Love Probe Placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm redoing my Keezer. Removed the collar because it was not needed and took a lot of weight off my lid Only downside is that the Probe from my Love controller went through that. Now I need a new inlet. I don't want to go drilling any holes in my chest freezer. When I replaced the old thermostat with the Love controller there was a port that the old probe came out of. I'd like to use this same port if possible. Here's some questions and pics below to help.

1) There's a small plastic tube coming from that port, I'd like to just grab it with pliers and pull it out. Anyone know if this is ok or of something else would be coming out with it? If I can just pull this tube out the LOVE probe will slip in the existing hole.
2) This port places the temp probe inside the hump in the chest freezer near the bottom. Is it going to be ok to have the temp probe inside the hump? I imagine this location is ideal since that's where the factory one was. Basically a clear plastic tube fit inside a rubber grommet.

This is a shot of the whole compressor area. The port in question is the black post on the left side by the wirenut.
100_9508.JPG

This is a closeup frontal shot of the port.
100_9506.JPG

This is a side view of the same thing above just to give a better idea.
100_9514.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Thank you thank you for posting this! I have the same layout in my chest freezer and I've been wondering the same thing. The problem I had was that even after I pulled out the plastic tube, the hole was too small to put the Love temp probe in (no homo).

I would have no problem widening it after pulling it out :)D) if I knew it wouldn't hurt anything. Was it nowhere close to fitting or..? And how thick was the wall when you pulled that out?

Mine was close to fitting. I thought about boring it out, but like you I was worried about hitting a line. So now I'm running the probe around the back of the freezer and up to the lid, where I tape it so that it just sticks out a bit. It's really less than ideal because the temperature at the top of the freezer is never quite as cool as the bottom, and because I'd much rather have it sumberged in a white labs vial or something similar to give me liquid temp.

So now I'm running the probe around the back of the freezer and up to the lid, where I tape it so that it just sticks out a bit. It's really less than ideal because the temperature at the top of the freezer is never quite as cool as the bottom, and because I'd much rather have it sumberged in a white labs vial or something similar to give me liquid temp.

This is the exact setup I'm moving away from for the same reason. I think tonight I'll pull that plastic guy out and have a look if I don't get any more responses.

Definitely keep me updated. I'm sick of the current setup for a variety of reasons including aesthetics.

Pulled my plastic out tonight tried putting my probe in. No go. Got out calipers. Get this. Tube that came out is 50 thousanths LARGER than my probe. I think there is something that the hollow tube is going around. That's the only explanation why my smaller but solid temp probe won't go in....I'm too scared to drill though. Don't know what I'm going to do at this point. There is a grey circle above the port you can see in the pics. It feel like insulation board, but I don't know if there would be lines behind it or through it.

Changed Thread title to address new questions since this one seems out of the question. I won't drill through the side without a tubing drawing from Magic Chef or whoever made the thing. Don't want a wire sticking out the side either.......Don't have a collar......

Anyone have any experience with chest freezers? I thought we had experts on every subject around here :( You're all just wanting to see me drill through the freezer wall aren't you!

Latest posts

Back