Help a newbie buy RIM system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishheadmi

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm mostly inexperienced in brewing, but I'm looking to jump into all grain with both feet. I've been shopping for a brew setup (either used, existing or new equipment) for a couple months now. I've been thinking of going the kettle/igloo cooler mash tun route but I've found what I think is a pretty good deal on a homemade RIM system with stand, 3 burners, RIM system, 3 keggles, one pump and all the hoses, attachments, etc...$700...about what I was going to spend on the kettle/igloo setup in total (though I'll have to drive a few hours to pick it up). The seller's sent multiple photos, spent a good amount of time on the phone answering questions and seems to be upfront and familiar with the unit he's built. He's been very honest about what I'll need to add (another pump, one ball valve, etc).

I just thought I'd post here and see if this setup raises any red flags to you more experienced brewers. I don't mind having to make a few repairs/modifications here and there, but I don't want to spend $700 on a total piece of junk. Anything in particular I should watch out for? Anything on the setup as pictured jump out at you? I do have a few more photos...close ups of specific elements of the setup if you need to see more.

Thanks in advance!

RIM1.jpg

RIM2.jpg

RIM3.jpg

RIM4.jpg

Latest posts

Back