Freakin' Swing-Tops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinetree64

Reaction score
My first post here. I wish I had found and consulted this forum several weeks ago. I took a break from home brewing after my last batch failed to carbonate. I thought it was due to a too long of a secondary fermentation. Wrong. I read here, after I bottled my last back, about the issues with the LHBS swing-tops. My first regular bottle was awesome! Grolsch bottle - great. First LHBS swing-top great. Today I am 0 for 2. No carbonation - none! I know now that it is the bottles. I won't wait 2 years again. I'll be buying large, cap bottles and a bench capper.

What a waste!!! The three I had were awesome - couldn't wait to share them with friends.

Sorry for the rant, but I knew you guys would understand. Please if you are thinking of trying them, buy the Grolsch or other store brands - you know they'll work.

I've only brewed 5 batches and each one was getting better...then I started using swing-tops.

I ONLY use Grolsh bottles - never had a flat one yet. Stay away from those cheap aftermarket bottles you find at the LHBS.

Change the seals, maybe put 2 on for a good seal. Drop a carb drop in each one and see if they ferment again

Definitely! If you haven't dumped it yet, don't. Keep em closed until you get new seals. Replace the seals and try carbing again.

I've bottled a few batches in swing tops ( never really trusted them ) haven't had any problems.

Maybe I've just been lucky.

I think your thought to use big cap bottles is the best idea.

I've used EZ-Cap bottles for two batches so far, and had good results both times in terms of carbonation. These are good bottles, I think they are made in Canada.

I've also had good luck with the EZ Cap bottles, I've filled my 2 cases at least 2-3 times and have had no carbonation failures yet. They seem to snap down tighter than Grolsch bottles for me. Either way I'd replace the seals every 3-4 refills.

I have had bad luck with the swing top caps also. About half haven't carbonated for me.

BUt, they do work very nicely for Ed's Apfel wine, and sangria.

Luck

Back