Counting down to new thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noisy123

Reaction score
Ok. I brewed my first brew, a Bascon Brown Ale from here:
http://www.wineandhop.com/CatalogBeer/aleKits.shtml
Props to the Wine and Hop shop.

It spent one week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary. I then primed with 3/4 c of corn sugar, boiled with water, cooled, put it in a bucket, racked my beer onto it and bottled.
I bottled them 2 weeks 4 days ago they have been sitting between 70-74. I have tried them weekly since they were bottled and they have, so far, been dead flat. Maybe a bit of gas escapes when opening but none in the beer. (I refrig 24 hours before opening). There is no sediment on the bottom.

During the last week I have taken Evan!'s advice and started shaking the crap out of a few to see if that helps.

I don't want to start a new carbonation thread as it has not yet been 3 weeks at 70, so I won't. But just to warn you, there may be one coming. So I'll say a little prayer for my beer in the language of yeast and their close cousins, cats:

Yeests plz to finish eatin and poopin so I can has beer now. KThxbai.

Keep us informed - I have Bascom Brown Ale in the primary right now - thinking 2 weeks in the primary and one week in the secondary.

Is this your first brew? If it is - funny we both picked the same as #1!

I'm going with Grey Moon Porter next.

Keep us informed - I have Bascon Brown Ale in the primary right now - thinking 2 weeks in the primary and one week in the secondary.

Is this your first brew? If it is - funny we both picked the same as #1!

I'm going with Grey Moon Porter next.

It was my first. Lots of folks told me that Brown's are 'fool-proof,' I should have insisted on a lower standard. I should have shot for idiot-proof.

I brewed an amber (English Bitter) from extract. Its in the secondary. This weekend I'll be doing a Wit from extract. Then its all-grain from here on out. I have a Fat-tire clone, cream ale (in-laws), patersbier and a tripel waiting to go. Just gotta get the parts.

There was a post that had a Youtube video of a guy testing his beer every day for a month.

I THINK his was flat up to day 21. I'll have to look for that vid.

Thread threat averted.
21 days at 70 worked. My beer has pretty good carbonation and since there is not much for a layer of yeast at the bottom of the bottles I can only assume the carbonation level will improve.

BTW the Bascom Brown tastes pretty good. It is an awful lot like Newcastle. Thanks for all the advice. :tank:

Back