Considering secondary ferment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junebug

Reaction score
Hi everybody...
Last tuesday, I pitched my first home brew. In the time since, I have been studying the "How To Brew" guide and other guides and I have to admit that I am very impatient to do more. The "How To" guide author suggests that first time brewers forgo the secondary fermentation and to leave the beer in the primary fermentor for three weeks. I am torn. Things look to be progressing well in the primary and I desperately do not want to screw things up...but I am also impatient to spread my wings. If I really make certain to sanitize the heck out of all my equipment, is there any reason I should not try to rack to secondary tomorrow? Or is learning to be patient and not rush things perhaps a valuable lesson for me to learn? I really don't want to ruin this batch due to beginner's buffoonery...but I'm itching to do something! Your advice would be greatly appreciated...:mug:

Annette

New brewer here also. (4 batches) Go ahead and secondary. Just make sure that your FG is where it should be. I used a secondary on 3 of the 4. Went straight to the bottles for my Belgian Wit.

If you have a secondary to use I see no reason not to use transfer it on Tuesday after one week in primary. I used a secondary on my first beer. Just be sure to transfer the beer 'quietly', meaning no splashing, you don't want to aerate it. If you notice lots of bubble or air pockets in your tubing while transferring you can get rid of them by squeezing the area or slightly bending the tubing at the spot.

An answer to your questions largely depends on what style of beer you are brewing. "Secondary Fermentation" is a bit of a misnomer by title as what most think of it is just what the name implies. What it actually is, however, is a conditioning and clarifying exersize.

Putting your beer into a secondary carboy or bucket will aid in the conditioning of your beer, this enhances flavors (which blend at this stage) and mature your beer. Clarifying is another benefit of secondary as most in the hobby are aiming for clear and bright beer. During secondary, the yeast and other particules will settle out of your beer and leave a bright, clear finish.

Speaking to your impatience is almost a subject on it's own. Everyone feels this at one point or another. The feeling that we need to manipulate or brew one way or another or it won't be "just right". This compulsive thought can lead to problems in some cases as most anyone around here will say; the more you mess around with your beer, the greater the chance of somethign happening to it.

Secondary treament of your beer is an option, not a requirement. Learning patience will be a requirement, not an option if you are to be not only a successful beer maker but a SANE beer maker. You can drive yourself quite mad thinking and being compulsive about your beer. Learn the patience virtue early. You'll be glad you did.

Back