IPA air lock still bubbling after cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DieterVonBrauhaus

Reaction score
OK, I have a Imperial Pale Ale, OG 1.0172 had in primary for two weeks, secondary two weeks, cold crashed for 3 days at 38 degrees and I see the air lock is bubling in the fridge. Whats going on there?

It's probably in the process of warming up, based on your refrigerator's cooling cycle.

The fridge turns on and cools down to maybe 38 or whatever, then doesn't turn on again until it hits maybe 43 (temp estimates, of course - but pretty much how it works). Anyway, any increase in temperature in the carboy will increase the pressure inside slightly, and the airlock will bubble.

Lol ya 1 .072 yes the fg was right on target, can't remember of the top of my head though. I remove it off the uyeast cake when I put on the secondary. Then I figured once I cold crash it, it would be good. But I swear its bubling every thirty seconds

Not sure of the gravity situation or the fridge situation but i've read of "gutter bugs" i think they are called and if you have already been fermenting for over a month with activity still going on then that might be the reason. do a quick search on here and see if anything sounds familiar.

I wouldn't worry about it. Crazy things can happen and CO2 is very unstable in the liquid. Any number of things could be going on, and I think with an Imperial IPA, an infection is probably low on the list. Air lock really isn't any kind of indicator. Your best bet is to take gravity readings in 3 day intervals (at a constant temp) and verify it's not changing and has reached the target.

It also could be that a high gravity brew like that can take longer than 3-4 weeks to finish fermenting. I made up a Burton ale yesterday with an OG of 1.065,pitched on it at 4:30pm. By the time I got up this morning at 7:25am,it's giving the blow off a real work out. But I'm not counting on it's being done in the usual 3-4 weeks,as with mid gravity brews. And I leave mine in primary usually,ecept when I'm oaking or the like. It also gives the yeasties time to clean up & settle out more,leaving the gunk compacted on the bottom of primary. That way,secondary is cleaner for various additions,if any.

Back