Crazy idea with Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
I see quite a few posts about how well this yeast works down in the low to mid 50s. Wyeast has it listed with 55 degrees for the low point so I don't think this is too far of a stretch.

Has anyone pitched it like they would a lager? I'm talking 300-500 billion yeast cells in the mid to upper 40s to see if it will even start? If no one has tried this I would like to nominate myself for the trial then starting early November. I think a 1.035-1.040 SMASH would make for a good test on what kind of flavors this yeast puts out, supposedly the colder you keep it the smokier the yeast can be.

Ok 3 liter starter rocking this morning for the beer. Should give me about 300billion yeasts. I'm still up in the air on kettle carmelizing but I'm worried about it hiding the yeast flavor.

1728/wlp028 (McEwans) works great at those temperatures, Sometimes we use it in the cellar for scotch ales in winter which gets down to 45ish. Makes for a great clean ale if you secondary (or lager) for a good while.

1728/wlp028 (McEwans) works great at those temperatures, Sometimes we use it in the cellar for scotch ales in winter which gets down to 45ish. Makes for a great clean ale if you secondary (or lager) for a good while.

If it works at 45 does it throw any Diacetyl of sulfur? Sounds like I might try 42 andtry free rising to 45.

I personally didn't notice any diacetyl. It was however a scotch ale, very malty and over 9%. If you're going to do a smash, you may want to do a diacetyl rest unless you just want to see what the yeast gives you.

I personally didn't notice any diacetyl. It was however a scotch ale, very malty and over 9%. If you're going to do a smash, you may want to do a diacetyl rest unless you just want to see what the yeast gives you.

I'll have to try and time it right to get a taste to see if it needs a rest. Yeast starter is now cold crashing in the fridge. We don't need no fancy flasks here.

20111021170729.jpg

Looking good! Did you do a smash or what was the recipe?

I'll check when I get home. Think it was
7lbs Golden Promise.
4oz flaked barely
.85oz kent Goldings @ 60min
.25oz kent gildings @ 15 or 10 min

boiled first runnings seperate for an hour then combined remainder for 60min.

I think the OG was 1.042.

Transferring to secondary to cold.condition. Has a subtle fruity flavor and it tastes much more bitter than 20ish IBUs. Fg 1.012. If anything it tastes kolsch like.
20111104170009.jpg

Wow, that stuff sure can ferment cold. Keep us posted as you keg/bottle it, in particular. I'd be curious to know how it turns out.

Any update to this? Further tasting notes?

I'm considering using it for a small(ish) Kolsch and then reusing the cake for a big(ish) IPA. I've been wanting to try 1728 and this thread may move it ahead a batch in the brew schedule.

I only cold crashed it for two weeks I wanted to get one last brew in before New Years so I had to bottle it 2 weeks ago and it's still has more fruity esters than I expected. I wouldn't do it again at 48, just not much else going on yeast wise. None of that smokiness I hear so much about with this yeast.

Thanks for the update. I'll go ahead and use it for the bastardized Kolsch (1.045) and then put the IPA (1.063) on the cake. Thinking I'll use a higher temp and shoot for 55*F.

Latest posts

Back