Is thawing and refreezing hops ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just realized I could have been packaging my hops with my food saver in a much better way after I've already sealed and frozen most of them.

Would having them thaw slightly so I could repackage them better and then resealing/refreezing be bad for them?

Thanks,

Nick

Not at all. You will be throwing them in boiling water which will be much more detrimental than a few freeze/thaw cycles.

They will hardly noticed anything happened to them.

I wonder if thawing will cause some of your valuable lupins to drip down the drain. I'm not saying I'm right. In my mind I see the water absorbing the elements we want in a beer and then that water dripping away.

I wonder if thawing will cause some of your valuable lupins to drip down the drain. I'm not saying I'm right. In my mind I see the water absorbing the elements we want in a beer and then that water dripping away.

The working presumption in your scenario is there's a heck of a lot of moisture involved, but most folks dry their hops before freezing. And from the OP's post the hops were only "slightly thawed". So I don't think there's any potential for lupilin to be washed out of the cones...

Cheers!

Back