Yet another newb thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostfighter

Reaction score
Hi there! This is all new for me, I just started my first batch about a week and a half ago. It is a Cooper's Stout kit. The OG was 1.030 which is pretty low, I think I put too much water in there. But now, I've taken the gravity 4 days apart and it stays at 1.020 ... There seems to be still som bubbles forming and all but I'm wondering if everything is still going alright... It's probably just newb insecurity but it doesn't hurt asking, right?

If the gravity isn't changing then it's probably finished. The bubbles forming (I assume you mean at the airlock?) doesn't mean it's still fermenting, just that CO2 is escaping, which can be by rocking the fermentation chamber, temperature change, etc.

What's it's quoted as finishing at? It could even just be going real slow, but if the gravity doesn't change after like a week I'd say it's finished.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. I'll wait until this week-end to see if the gravity still stays the same and if it does, I'll probably bottle. This is gonna be one weak beer ;)
The bubbles I'm talking about are in the brew itself when I get the wine thief out of the carboy. The instructions of the kit are pretty basic, they don't talk about a finishing gravity... and their website doesn't say anything about it either...
I also might be wrong on the OG I took, gotta learn I guess

I just retook the gravity today and it was at 1.018... is it possible it just stopped fermenting for a couple days?

Could have been a slow couple of days I'd guess. I'd wait at least another week to see if it changes anymore since it seems to still be crawling down.

Back