Kegging Noob.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyO

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I scored a used converted chest freezer over the weekend from Craigslist.

freezer.jpg

It came with the following:

The keg coupler is an American Sanky – American System D Lever Beer Tap and Keg coupler

The freezer temp controller info - Thermostat for Home Fridge and Freezer Temperature Control

The Draft Tower - Beer Tower - 3" Plastic - Chrome ABS Plastic - 1 Faucet

I will be purchasing a CO2 tank, preferably something over 5 pounds, new lines as the ones in this unit are old and discolored, and two new kegs to start.

With the Sanke connection, I contacted KegConnection.com, and they said all I would need is their Sanke Tap to Homebrew connection kit - Sanke Tap to Homebrew Conversion Kit, with disconnects

**Noob Question Alert**

What does the coupler do? Do I need to keep the sanke coupler/connection in this set up? If I need a coupler in the set up, what would I need to purchase to replace the sanke?

if you're getting all new lines, why not just get regular corney disconnects, rather than reusing the sankey connector with the adapter.

get some of these http://www.homebrewhq.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=1156 gray for gas and black for beer and yes it matters..and scan craig's list or the LHBS for cornies. After you get the CO2 and some type of regulator you are pretty much good to go. I also have two tap towers i'm trying to get rid of if you want to expand PM me. The link you had will let you go between store bought kegs and cornies if that is important go for it but the regular connections is all you need if you only want home brew.

**Noob Question Alert**

What does the coupler do?

The sanke coupler is what most North American commercial kegs use as their connection.

**Noob Question Alert**

Do I need to keep the sanke coupler/connection in this set up?

If you would ever want to connect a commercial keg to you kegerator, you will need the sanke coupler.

**Noob Question Alert**

If I need a coupler in the set up, what would I need to purchase to replace the sanke?

The above listed gas and liquid corny keg disconnects are what you would need to dispense from corny kegs. The kegconnection conversion kit allows you the option to swap out the ball lock disconnects from the corny kegs straight to the sanke tap with the 1/4" MFL tailpieces and the 1/4" barbed swivel nuts without taking off hose clamps.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help everyone. I am glad I don't need the sanke coupler. I didn't think that I did, but I just didn't know. I don't plan on tapping any commercial kegs, but I will hold onto the coupler just in case I need it.

I bought the "Sanke to Homebrew Conversion Kit" you linked from KegConnections.com a few weeks ago and it was exactly what I was looking for.

You only need it if you want to be able to go back and forth easily between Sanke and Corny kegs though. If you'll never want to use a Sanke again, you don't need the whole kit.

The kit contains parts to modify the Sanke tap so that it has the same male fittings on the gas and beer lines as the Corny keg does, and also has a single set of female fittings that permanently mount to the beer and gas lines and couple to either the Sanke or Corny.

Just another thing to look out for. Those connections looked like ball lock QDs (quick disconnects). If you are getting cornies make sure they match the QDs that you get, there are ball lock and twist lock, both work just fine but are not interchangeable. As for the conversion, just buy what you need and replace the current setup, just make sure it doesnt leak, I recommend hose clamps and Teflon tape :)

Back