Port Brewing Mongo Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2eng

Reaction score
Bought several of these ('cause I love 'em so!), and set one aside. I noticed a good amount of yeast settled after a month or so, so I harvested and am propagating now.

It is the brewing yeast, or is this one bottle conditioned? Any one else try this from Port Brewing?

Thanks for the help.

try contacting the brewery and asking if they bottle condition with the same strain they ferment with. i've done that a few times, 2 the person responding claimed they bottled with a different strain, one never got back to me, but one said 'yes' and said i'd have good luck fermenting my recipe with their yeast if i was able to build it up to pitchable levels. just a thought, it seems many brewers, even pros, aren't afraid to share stuff.

UPDATE:

This beer is not bottle conditioned!

I harvested the yeast, grew it , and am fermenting an IIPA now. Very aggressively fermenting yeast.

"The waiting is the hardest part!"

I forgot about this thread... :(

Yep, it worked REALLY well. My IIPA brewed with this yeast is headed to the 2012 NHC. The yeast takes awhile to clear, but it is worth the wait.

I have brewed a few batches with the yeast now, and it's amazing how the hop flavor persists. I brewed my old NHC Final Round IIPA with Notty, US-05 and the harvested Mongo, and it's pretty clear the winner is the Mongo.

I thought I really understood what part of a beer's flavor came from the yeast. Harvesting this yeast and brewing with it has opened my eyes to how much I do not know.

If you can get your hands on a bottle of this beer, and can store it long enough to have the yeast drop out (almost a criminal act, BTW), I would highly recommend it.

I'll keep you posted on the results of the entry.

I have no clue, and I seriously doubt anyone would get that info... closely protected. I have found that Mongo and Hop-15 yeast harvested from the bottle are the same!

:)

Thanks to your trailblazing, I too have harvested, stepped up a few times on stir plate, and brewed with this yeast.

LOVE the results on an IPA with all late kettle Galaxy, Mosaic, and Citra + 3 day dry hop schedule. I've made this recipe multiple times with 1056, 1450, US-05...definitely think "Mongo" is king!

Saw on another site that a poster listed Wyeast 2112 as the yeast (based on conversation with Mike from Port Brewing). I can't believe that this is accurate (California Lager yeast?!?)...

Regardless, I'll continue to build my library of "Mongo" yeast!

Back