Priming Sugar a week before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wish I could attach a photo of my Maple Pale Ale recipe, but here goes....

By the looks of this recipe it does not ask for priming sugar. After fermenting the recipe says to extract 2 cups of beer and disolve the maple syrup in it, put it in the bottling bucket, add wort and bottle. When I put the maple syrup into the beer to dissolve, I put everything into the carboy, as instructed. But I did not have the bottles to start bottling, so I plugged it up. Will not bottling immediately ruin the batch? It is currently bubbling in the carboy until I get bottles tomorrow.

Any insight would be awesome, thanks.

Edit: Attached is the link to the recipe, thanks for the help! Basically i have yet to bottle but I have put everything in my glass carboy at the bottling stage
http://seacoastbeveragelab.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/mapleipa.jpg

This will not ruin the batch, but you will have to prime again before bottling... the sugars in the maple syrup will be fermented by the time you bottle and you will end up with flat beer.

The beer is not ruined, but the last time I priced maple syrup, I found that a pint was *way* more than I wanted to pay. You can still prime with corn sugar, table sugar, or if you have the cash (I understand not everyone is in as bad of situation as I am), more maple syrup.

I would actually stick with the corn sugar (dextrose) as you have already added the maple essence to the beer, and the dextrose will ferment out in the bottle. This will be as close to "neutral" as you can get it.

Just picked up a packet of priming sugar, should I use the whole thing when bottling tomorrow, considering I already sort of primed it when I put the syrup in it on Monday?

What do you mean "I plugged it up"? YOu better have an airlock on there or you'll pop the stopper right off and have yourself an open primary.

STOP!!!!!
Until the maple syrup is completely fermented you may be adding TOO much primer. There is no way at this time to be sure how much of the Co2 the maple syrup will put off. You might get bottle bombs.

Give it time and check for stable gravity a few times before adding Corn sugar to get the carb you want.

If you are in a hurry, bottle it now with NO added sugars and maybe wind up with a low carbed brew. Your call.

Edit: Just reread your posts and it may be fine since you added the syrup on Monday. Check gravity today and then tomorrow. If it is around the projected FG, shoot for the low side of the carb scale for the style and it should be fine.

Back