Few starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerpintine

Reaction score
I haven't really had time to search, and I needed help with a couple of things. I was planning on doing (from AHB) a Sam Adams Cream Stout and a Belhaven Scottish Ale. The OG are 1.055 and 1.045 respectively, and I have 2L flasks. Would a half cup of DME and 1L water suffice for each? I was also gonna opt to do the 1% Alcohol Boost for the Belhaven--should that put it about the same as the stout for the gravity? The second part is I have a chest freezer with the Johnson controller--my LHBS mentioned not putting the flask in there while it's in the low 60s? He said it's too cold? That's the fermenting temp I was planning on so I thought it'd be optimum. Finally as long as the starters finish they're ok sitting in the freezer? Like say I get delayed (after the first 48 hours) a day or two, they should be fine, yes?

Hello!

Starters should be between 1.030 and 1.040 original gravity and ferment fairly warm. For most ales, you'll want to make a starter of at least 1.5 to 2 quarts in size. See Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator to see how large a starter you'll need. Then check out Homebrew Starter Wort Calculator to figure out how much malt extract to use for that size starter.

It'll be fine in the fridge once it's fermented to completion for a couple of days. Just decant the starter beer, let it warm up for a few hours, and pitch when you are done chilling the wort.

A kitchen scale is very helpful and much more accurate than measuring ingredients by volume. Get one that has a resolution of at least 0.1 oz or 1 grams.

Back