How cold is too cold for crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
I have a Pale Ale I pitched with Wyeast Abbey and I want to cold crash the beer and add gelatin before I keg. My question is this, It is super cold here, Iowa, and the temps are expected to be in the mid 20's for the high, can i cold crash this brew outside for a bit or is that too cold? I was actually thinking of leaving it outside for a day or two is that a bad idea? Also, do I wait and add the gelatin once the beer is already chilled? Thanks!

Add the gelatin, then chill it. Mid 20's might risk freezing...anything short of freezing is fine for cold crashing.

One question, has the beer had sufficient time to condition? You don't want to shutdown the yeast before they have cleaned up their mess :)

I froze my beer once accidentally while cold crashing. As far as I can tell, it was no worse for the wear. Thin and kind of underwhelming but I think that was all in the mash. It carbonated fine. Obviously I don't suggest this method.

Yeah its ready for keg, been on the yeast for a month, steady gravity at 1.007 for 4 days now. Another question, how long does the cold crash take, can I put it outside for a few hours to get some effect and not risk the freezing part? I do not want to do the gelatin if I can not crash it long enough to work.

Back