Re-using yeast = big time alcohol flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I find there is a STRONG alcohol flavor whenever I re-use yeast. Could I be over-pitching? I usually split my washing into 4 mason jars, and I'll use 1 with a stir starter.

THere should be no reason that reusing yeast gives you a more alcoholic flavor. The only think I can think of, is that if you make a nice big starter you may have a much more healthy fermentation, thus raising the internal temperature of the fermenter and creating more fussel (or whatever they call them) alcohols.

The only think I can think of, is that if you make a nice big starter you may have a much more healthy fermentation, thus raising the internal temperature of the fermenter and creating more fussel (or whatever they call them) alcohols.
does a violent fermentation really raise the wort/beer temperature that much? recently i've seen this happening with my BIG beers and large yeast starters and wondered about it.

i wouldn't think that re-using yeast would give a strong alcohol flavor either. perhaps you need to raise the hop levels to balance the beers better? are you using alot of adjuncts?

When I recently pitched a 1.095 impy stout on a pacman cake with yeast nutrient added to the boil, the fermenter temp was 9 degrees above ambient for 3 days...then it was over...1.018.....so yes....it can really raise the temp.

I find there is a STRONG alcohol flavor whenever I re-use yeast. Could I be over-pitching? I usually split my washing into 4 mason jars, and I'll use 1 with a stir starter.

Are you controlling your fermentation temps? Yeast reusing isn't going to cause your problem unless there is something else off...

How much yeast are you collecting when you wash?

I'm not sure how to measure it, but I get (4) 8-ounce mason jars, and by the time it settles it may be just under an inch thick??

According to Wyeast, fusels are caused by 1) increased oxygen (too much), 2) decreased pitch rate, 3) increased temp, 4) increased gravity, and 5) amino acid supplementation or deficiency.

Are you proofing the harvested yeast before use (adding some fresh wort hours before pitch)? Adding oxygen? Holding temperatures (liquid, not ambient)?

Doesn't a starter provide a proof?

I know about oxidation and I avoid it, I find that gives more of a heartburn affect than a alcohol taste. Temps were definitely controlled, probably around 57F for Wyeast Kolsch 2565 and 62F for Wyeast London Ale 1028. The gravities were a little high; 1.056 and 1.072.

I don't know about these amino acid supps you speak of.

Latest posts

Back