My Advice For Those New To Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the yeast clean up after themselves after fermentation is over. I know edwort kegs after 10 days, but that is for relatively low gravity beers (about 5.3%) and he cold-crashes them to let the yeast and anything else floating around sink to the bottom of the carboy before kegging. I waited 4 weeks for my first batch; 2 in primary, 2 in secondary. I'd say 3 weeks is a must. But then again, I've had plenty of patients when I made wine in the past, letting it sit as long as a year before bottling, so 3-4 weeks was super easy for me.

I also keg after 8-10 days depending on the beer. most all of mine are in the 5-6%abv, and I also cold crash. I keep the keg cold and under pressure for about two weeks. Of course I sample small 6oz libbey judging glasses, and what I have found is that the "green" flavor is gone by about the 3 week stage. Also I use a conical as a secondary "brightening tank" for the last two to 3 days of fermentation prior to kegging. (This has made a huge difference in my beer clarity)

Latest posts

Back