Temperature control question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

je52rm

Reaction score
So My house heater broke and it's supposed to get down to 35•-40• tonight and I'm worried about the temp of my 5-gallon carboy brews (ESB and Graff/hard cider). I imagine the internal house temp may get down to the 50's• and I am wondering if it's gonna affect the fermentation activity and if so what should I do to help it along? I will have heat again in a couple days and it will be back at the 65•-70• temp

Put it in bed with you! Kidding, but it shouldn't be a problem. Most likely it will just start the fermentation again when it comes up to temperature. As I understand it, the temperature extremes to avoid are those on the high end. Low temperatures will just stall out the fermentation for a bit.

Hahahahaha a lil' krausen cuddle in bed. Ok cool thanks for the info. What temp (on the cold end) in particular does the fermentation for a top fermenting ale yeast slow/dormant?

Haha that's funny, lil' krausen cuddle. I can't answer on the specific temp. Out of curiosity, how long have they been in primary?

Well I would say the bulk of the fermentation is over by now and the yeast is most likely finishing up. I'm no expert, but I bet everything will turn out just fine.

Back