New cidery in Virginia - Afton Mtn (C-ville) area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSponge

Reaction score
Took my wife out for a drive for our anniversary today (Oct 16th) -- I had pulled a map of all the apple orchards in Virginia, and I was looking for anything that would have some fun activities (and hopefully bulk cider) -- we would up at Drumhellers, in Lovingston -- a nice place, small-ish, pretty area, off the beaten path. They had a band, funnel cakes, funnel cakes (we had two), and such. Their fresh cider tasted awesome, I had many samples. Clean, sweet, just the right tartness, no preservatives, not even pasteurized. We bought some apples, listened to the band, I figured I'd buy a couple gallons on the way out. Turns out I waited to long, and they sold out. Oh well.

But wait, there's more. In trying to find Drumhellers (easy, really), I found out that we're going to have a new cidery in Nelson County... We have Foggy Ridge, Albermarle, and maybe one other ... I saw this guy's place mentioned in a brochure, and gave him a call (hey, were in the area!)

The owner's name is John (erm, Something). They aren't open just yet, they're building their buildings, and they can't get their license until after they're built. He's on a farm in Wintergreen (yes, that one). He's just gotten into it. He lived in New Zealand for a but, and has a master ciderer moving to the States to be his ... master ... ciderer. I should have seen that one come.

He is very friendly, and I hope to keep in touch with him and find out when they're actually producing... I asked about what kind of cider, and was going to ask about how it will be packaged, etc. , but we kind of got off topic, and I never got that far.

No website yet, but he's got an email, [email protected] -- I am excited and hope they're open for at least visits very soon.

I think he's listed on the NelsonCounty.com website, but I just got his number from the flyer at the Visitor's Center and called outright.

John (erm, "something")
Rockfish Valley Hwy
434-987-6704

( I was really hoping they're let me visit, I had a bottle of my last ferment with me, and I'd gladly have opened it and shared it, for a hamburger next Tuesday [oblique reference to Wimpy from the Popeye cartoons].

Now I've got to find some bulk apple juice so get my next batch going... I always wait too long to start anything in the fall!

If you call him, tell him Marc told you about him.

Oh, and I think he said they may open officially around the 1st of the year.

Back