Primary dropped to 55 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunklefunk

Reaction score
I moved the primary to the basement on a stool for a day or 2 and I checked on it and it is 55 degrees. I've moved it upstairs, but it's been in the fermenter for about a week now.

Uhhh, thanks for the play by play?
Seriously, are you saying you have a concern or a problem? What kind of yeast did you use? Had it started before you took it down? Did it stop when it got cold? Has it started again since you moved it to a warmer spot? Have you checked gravity to see if anything has happened?

What meant to say is that around day 5 I moved the bucket to the basement. However for those 2 days it was down there ( ive been busy working ). the temp was around 55 degrees, so I moved it back upstairs into a closet. The airlock quit before the move, however I am concerned I might gave screwed up.

Watch it for a good 30 seconds. If there are no bubbles in that time, you could always repitch.

Bring it up to 70 maybe give it a swrill once its up.It may or may not bubble within a week but after like 5 or more days check with a hydrometer, but give it a few weeks thereafter even if it reached a final gravity.

Checked this morning and the temp is @ 64 degrees. The airlock is slowly moving so everything looks fine. I am not touching it for 2 weeks which is when I am going to bottle.

I keep my yeast in the fridge at about 35f before I use it and it always seems to do okay once I pitch it into ~70f wort. I don't think being at 55f will hurt it much.

Bubbles are not a gauge of fermentation. Take a gravity reading of it if it is around your target than you should be fine. You said you put it down there on day 5, if you had a good healthy fermentation then fermentation could very well be done or close to done. So moral of the story Take a Gravity Reading.

Bubbles are not a gauge of fermentation. Take a gravity reading of it if it is around your target than you should be fine. You said you put it down there on day 5, if you had a good healthy fermentation then fermentation could very well be done or close to done. So moral of the story Take a Gravity Reading.

+1^

Bubbles are normal also when your batch is changing temperature, so that's going to hard to judge by bubbles alone.

Your best bet is to check the gravity and make sure that it's close to your target. At this point it should be quite near.
If not, warm it up some and rouse the yeast a little bit.

+1^

Bubbles are normal also when your batch is changing temperature, so that's going to hard to judge by bubbles alone.

Your best bet is to check the gravity and make sure that it's close to your target. At this point it should be quite near.
If not, warm it up some and rouse the yeast a little bit.

Haha, yeah. I moved 5 gal of distilled water in a bucket w/airlock from a 55f room to a 72f room and it started to bubble, so I guess my distilled water with no yeast in it is fermenting, right?

Back