Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hydrometer sample had no discernible pepper spice to it... I'll add a tincture of rum with 5 peppers chopped, though only two had seeds. Trying to keep the heat to a dull roar!

How did this end up? I am looking at brewing a jalapeño cream ale for my dad and he loves this beer already.

Found a recipe on here the OP originally designed to be a jalapeño beer, but as this one is proven I figured why not.

His plan was to slit and roast the peppers and then soak in vodka for a few days. Add 4 to boil and 4 to secondary. Apparently the vodka dulls the heat so it takes several peppers.

I brewed this in early November and absolutely love it! I used a big slug of Bells yeast that I harvested and stepped up from some bottles of Oberon. Great, easy drinking, beer. A definite re-brew!!

Would any of these hops that I have on-hand work with this recipe?

• .20oz Hallertau (1.4%)
  • .27oz Perle (5.3%)
  • .28oz Fuggle (4.1%)
  • .28oz Saaz (3.8%)
  • .30oz Citra (14.0%)
  • .34oz Crystal (4.1%)
  • .47oz Sorachi Ace (10.4%)
  • .73oz Pacific Gem (14.4%)
  • .99oz Horizen (10.1%)
  • 1.42oz Nugget (13.4%)

If you are following the recipe and only doing a bittering addition then I think nugget, horizon, crystal, perle or hallertau would be fine. Just need to figure out the ibus based on the volume you are going to brew.

If you are following the recipe and only doing a bittering addition then I think nugget, horizon, crystal, perle or hallertau would be fine. Just need to figure out the ibus based on the volume you are going to brew.

I've actually considered .20oz Nugget and .25oz Horizon @60 minutes (18.0IBU)

I personally use 1oz of hallertau at 40min for this recipe and it turns out great.

I had the IBUs jotted down at one point but I don't remember off hand.

My guess would be probably around 14.

I personally use 1oz of hallertau at 40min for this recipe and it turns out great.

I had the IBUs jotted down at one point but I don't remember off hand.

My guess would be probably around 14.

I do like Hallertau, but I'm trying to use hops that I already have in inventory.

• .20oz Hallertau (1.4%)
  • .27oz Perle (5.3%)
  • .28oz Fuggle (4.1%)
  • .28oz Saaz (3.8%)
  • .30oz Citra (14.0%)
  • .34oz Crystal (4.1%)
  • .99oz Horizen (10.1%)
  • 1.42oz Nugget (13.4%)

I do like Hallertau, but I'm trying to use hops that I already have in inventory.

• .20oz Hallertau (1.4%)
  • .27oz Perle (5.3%)
  • .28oz Fuggle (4.1%)
  • .28oz Saaz (3.8%)
  • .30oz Citra (14.0%)
  • .34oz Crystal (4.1%)
  • .99oz Horizen (10.1%)
  • 1.42oz Nugget (13.4%)

Most of those are more aroma and flavor, so I wouldn't waste them. You have enough nugget to bitter it properly with just a little of that. Or mix your fuggle and hallertau?

First time I brewed this beer was grain as original and hops as crystal and cluster .5 each for 60 and 2 oz of liberty at flameout. It was great.

this time I hoped it up a bit and added some L40. Lets see how it goes. Will bottle it tonight

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Cream Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 8.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.031
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 4.72%
IBU (tinseth): 44.69
SRM (morey): 4.99

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Canadian - Pale 2-Row (63.2%)
0.5 lb - Flaked Rice (5.3%)
2.5 lb - Flaked Corn (26.3%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (5.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Cluster, Type: Pellet, AA: 6.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 5.3
2 oz - Crystal, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.3, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 1.52
0.5 oz - Summit, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 37.86

Wanting to brew this and add some jalapeno to it. I will be cutting the recipe down to a 2.5 gallon batch so I can bottle since my keg is full. Plan on doing 2 or 3 jalapenos in the boil, and then taste it after fermentation to see if I need to add more. Any thoughts on this?

Wanting to brew this and add some jalapeno to it. I will be cutting the recipe down to a 2.5 gallon batch so I can bottle since my keg is full. Plan on doing 2 or 3 jalapenos in the boil, and then taste it after fermentation to see if I need to add more. Any thoughts on this?

Im interested in how you make out. Are you planning on roasting the jalapeños, using them raw or something else? Ive experimented a little with habaneros and scotch bonnets in amber ale and even entered one in competition. It didnt do well but I also didnt enter in the right category (spice beer) and one of the judges told me afterwards he misinterpreted it as a flaw in what he thought was a regular amber ale. I know jalapeños might be less spicy than habaneros but they might over power this beer. The amber habanero left a nice spicy tingle that was nice for a cold night and it was the only beer I could taste last winter when I caught a nasty head cold and lost my sense of smell/taste for over a month lol. Definitely try it out and post the results I love experimental brews!

Im interested in how you make out. Are you planning on roasting the jalapeños, using them raw or something else? Ive experimented a little with habaneros and scotch bonnets in amber ale and even entered one in competition. It didnt do well but I also didnt enter in the right category (spice beer) and one of the judges told me afterwards he misinterpreted it as a flaw in what he thought was a regular amber ale. I know jalapeños might be less spicy than habaneros but they might over power this beer. The amber habanero left a nice spicy tingle that was nice for a cold night and it was the only beer I could taste last winter when I caught a nasty head cold and lost my sense of smell/taste for over a month lol. Definitely try it out and post the results I love experimental brews!

I plan on roasting them for maybe 30 minutes @ 350F or so. I agree with you on possibly over powering. Not really any hops to balance out the jalapeno. So I might end up just using two roasted jalapenos, split in half and added @ 15 minutes. I will try a sample after fermentation is done and see how much heat I have. I will definitely post the results. Also decided to do a 5 gallon batch instead of a 2.5 like originally posted.

Update: went and got the ingredients today for this Changed my mind.. again... still gonna brew up 5 gallons, but I'm going to rack 1 gallon onto the blackberries and then keg the other 4 gallons.

I brewed this up for my first all grain recipe..... Plan is to make a cream ale to have on tap year round....Transferring it to secondary I had a taste.... It tasted watered down like a real bud light / bush light.

Is that what it should taste like? I was expecting a light beer but with much more flavor like the kit I did last year off northern Brewer. I know being my first all grain recipe everything was off so wasn't sure if it was just me .

Thanks

I brewed this up for my first all grain recipe..... Plan is to make a cream ale to have on tap year round....Transferring it to secondary I had a taste.... It tasted watered down like a real bud light / bush light.

Is that what it should taste like? I was expecting a light beer but with much more flavor like the kit I did last year off northern Brewer. I know being my first all grain recipe everything was off so wasn't sure if it was just me .

Thanks

It should taste better once it's carbed up. I'm brewing this as we speak.

Update: Brew days finally over. Didn't go too bad. I mashed a little higher than I wanted to (153) so it won't be as dry, but might not be a bad thing. Pitched US-05. Kegging 4 gallons of this in two weeks, and racking the other gallon onto a split jalapeno w/ seeds in a small carboy.

It should taste better once it's carbed up. I'm brewing this as we speak.

Update: Brew days finally over. Didn't go too bad. I mashed a little higher than I wanted to (153) so it won't be as dry, but might not be a bad thing. Pitched US-05. Kegging 4 gallons of this in two weeks, and racking the other gallon onto a split jalapeno w/ seeds in a small carboy.

I just got back home it is carbed up.... WOW..... Tastes much better....exactly like a light beer ... Perfect recipe to put on fruit, or flavor any way you would like.... I will definitely make this again

My stab at this recipe..

Recipe Type: All Grain BIAB
Yeast: S-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 3.25
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 17
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 Days at 64 degrees

Grain Bill
5 lbs. 2 Row
1.5 lb. Flaked Corn
10 oz. Minute Rice
2 oz. C40
Mash
BIAB Single Infusion mash for 75 minutes at 152 degrees.

Boil & Hops
.75 oz. Glacier 3.4 @ 60 min.

Crappy cell phone pic.

Cream%20Ale.jpg

I'm in the middle of brewing this for the second time.... ( I upped the grain bill) this time the grains were a better crush pushing my efficiency higher.... I'm currently going to be at 6.1 abv

Will 6% ruin the beer by giving it an alcohol flavor? I will be fermenting at low temps ... Or will it be ok?
Thank you for any replies as I'm in the middle of the boil now

Just kegged my 4 gallons of this and now have 1 gallon sitting on some blackberry pie filling. I'm so excited to try it! Will bottle that Wednesday or so.

I love hop flavor, so in my version of this, I will be whirlpooling and dry hopping double the boil additions. Recipe is scaled more or less down to 2.5 gallons with the following grain and hops bill:

2.5 gallon batch
3 gallon boil
OG 1.046
IBU 13.69
SRM 2.59

2.75 pounds 2 row
1 pound flaked corn
.25 pounds minute rice

Note that proportions are adjusted for convenience of using a 1 pound bag of corn

.25 each Willamette and Crystal @ 60 min
.5 pound Crystal whirlpool 15min@160
.5 pound Crystal dry hop @ 5 days

Note that the crystal is leaf rather than pellet, while the Willamette is pellet

It hardly fits in with the original concept, but Cream of Three Crops Ale was my inspiration for this. Considering the very light body and low gravity of this brew, I consider that this qualifies as "hop bursting".

H.W.

My stab at this recipe..

Recipe Type: All Grain BIAB
Yeast: S-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 3.25
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 17
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 Days at 64 degrees

Grain Bill
5 lbs. 2 Row
1.5 lb. Flaked Corn
10 oz. Minute Rice
2 oz. C40
Mash
BIAB Single Infusion mash for 75 minutes at 152 degrees.

Boil & Hops
.75 oz. Glacier 3.4 @ 60 min.

Crappy cell phone pic.

Cream%20Ale.jpg

I think I'll make this as my second biab batch.

Anyone have any experience making a traditional shandy with this beer?

I just tried some out of my keg. Only been in since Saturday so wasn't expecting much. Pours a very very light almost whitish color in the light. Definitely getting the corn that everyones talking about. Very drinkable and very light though. Will be bottling the gallon I racked on blackberries sometime this week. Attached a pic. Anyones ever been this light? Not sure why!

Anyways, going to scurry off and pour another pint...

creamthreecrops.jpg

I just tried some out of my keg. Only been in since Saturday so wasn't expecting much. Pours a very very light almost whitish color in the light. Definitely getting the corn that everyones talking about. Very drinkable and very light though. Will be bottling the gallon I racked on blackberries sometime this week. Attached a pic. Anyones ever been this light? Not sure why!

Anyways, going to scurry off and pour another pint...

The first batch I did was lighter than that ... I upped the grain bill and this batch is a little darker

Seems like the gallon I put on blackberries is going to a blackberry/abv bomb haha. Not sure how much sugar the pie filling added, but it's been bubbling like crazy for 4 days now. I cannot wait to taste it.

has any used Mt. hood hops in place of crystal in this recipe? little new to this and everything I've read says they are substitutable. Just wondering if it'll have any significant impact on taste. Should be a 3.5g batch with .2oz at 60 minutes

Seems like the gallon I put on blackberries is going to a blackberry/abv bomb haha. Not sure how much sugar the pie filling added, but it's been bubbling like crazy for 4 days now. I cannot wait to taste it.

Let me know how it goes! I'm getting ready to brew some up in a few weeks and plan on splitting it into a few different fruit batches. Trying to decide if I should just use fresh fruit or go with canned
🍻🍻

Let me know how it goes! I'm getting ready to brew some up in a few weeks and plan on splitting it into a few different fruit batches. Trying to decide if I should just use fresh fruit or go with canned
🍻🍻

Still bubbling like crazy using the pie filling. It's been since Saturday. I can't believe it's still going.

has any used Mt. hood hops in place of crystal in this recipe? little new to this and everything I've read says they are substitutable. Just wondering if it'll have any significant impact on taste. Should be a 3.5g batch with .2oz at 60 minutes

My experience has been that at 60 min, much of your flavour compounds have been boiled off.

Also at such a low hop rate, I would be surprised if it made any noticeable difference.

Still bubbling like crazy using the pie filling. It's been since Saturday. I can't believe it's still going.

Sheesh. Well, then I guess I'm going to go the fresh or frozen route depending on how the produce looks in the store and just cook it down. I guess the pie filling just has way too much sugar

Sheesh. Well, then I guess I'm going to go the fresh or frozen route depending on how the produce looks in the store and just cook it down. I guess the pie filling just has way too much sugar

Yeah. I just looked it up online.. The can says it has 13g of sugar per 1/3 cup serving size. I believe it was a 21 oz can.

Back