Final fernentation sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyp

Reaction score
Done first batch of lager came out fine , found it tricky add five grams of sugar to each and every bottle, is it okay to rack off fluid into different fermentation bucket and add all the amount of required sugar in one go and then siphon off into each bottle? Also is brewing sugar better used? Or the tablets I've seen advertised to drop in each bottle first and not add sugar to brew.

Done first batch of lager came out fine , found it tricky add five grams of sugar to each and every bottle, is it okay to rack off fluid into different fermentation bucket and add all the amount of required sugar in one go and then siphon off into each bottle? Also is brewing sugar better used? Or the tablets I've seen advertised to drop in each bottle first and not add sugar to brew.

The preferred method is to boild your entire batch's priming sugar in a couple of cups of water for about ten miutes. Add that to your bottling bucket, then siphon the beer on top of it (some say to stir once you do).

This gives you even carbing.

Any sugar will work - corn sugar is the defult priming sugar in most brewing kits, but table sugar works, as does malt extract, candi sugar, honey, maple syrup, and a host of other sugars - google "beer priming sugar calculator" for some useful tools on figuring out what kind and how much sugar to use.

Personally, I can't taste the difference between corn and table sugar as primer.

You whatever you want, but be sure to run your numbers in a calculator before you do it. 100 grams of "sugar" can produce different levels of carbonation depending on what that "sugar" is.

+1 on the dissolving the sugar and then racking onto it.

Personally, I can't taste the difference between corn and table sugar as primer.

You whatever you want, but be sure to run your numbers in a calculator before you do it. 100 grams of "sugar" can produce different levels of carbonation depending on what that "sugar" is.

+1 on the dissolving the sugar and then racking onto it.

I agree. I have used both and cannot tell the difference.

Latest posts

Back