Tasted my first batch and...........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkbrown5881

Reaction score
Magic hat #9 clone
dry hopped 2 weeks with amarillo hops

Well I tasted my first batch and I thought it wasn't too bad. Granted I am pretty new at this but my first impression was that the body of the beer was a little weak. Not sure why this would be. Any thoughts and opinions would be welcomed. I have passed some of it out to see what others think still waiting on feedback.Anyway, its certainly drinkable and won't go to waste.:cross:

Not real detailed, but here it is>>>> IMG_0435.jpg

Being a 1.047OG,it's in mid-gravity territory. So if you're used to drinking IIPA's,& the like,it'll taste a little thin.

Two things I have to offer:

1) Getting a good body and warm malt flavor in my homebrew is still something I'm not very good at.

2) I think #9 is light on body to begin with

You didn't say how long it has been since you brewed this beer nor how long it has been in the bottle but I'd guess you are sampling it a little early. Give it another 2 or 3 weeks and give us another report.

Perception of mouthfeel doesn't change that much with age. It's more a function of OG & FG as relates to the type & amount of malts used. How much they do or don't ferment out. In other words,how many un-fermentables are in the malts used. Plus other things that can be added like maltodextrin,which only ferments out no more that 5%.

You didn't say how long it has been since you brewed this beer nor how long it has been in the bottle but I'd guess you are sampling it a little early. Give it another 2 or 3 weeks and give us another report.

Brewed 11-27-11
primary for about 15 days @1.014
secondary for two weeks
been in the bottle for 18 days @ 1.012

bkbrown5881 said:
Magic hat #9 clone
dry hopped 2 weeks with amarillo hops

Well I tasted my first batch and I thought it wasn't too bad. Granted I am pretty new at this but my first impression was that the body of the beer was a little weak. Not sure why this would be. Any thoughts and opinions would be welcomed. I have passed some of it out to see what others think still waiting on feedback.Anyway, its certainly drinkable and won't go to waste.:cross:

I know how this feels, get all ready for a delicious beer and it ends up being weak... And end up disappointed. I dont spend all that time brewing and waiting just to have a wimpy beer!

The main thing i did to increase body and mouth feel of my brews was to increase the crystal malt as well as the 2 row. Basically beef up the grain bill, and add a little more hops to balance the sweetness of the resulting beer. You may even want to increasr the extaxt as well by .5-1 lb. Essentially youre increasing everything in the recipe. It takes practice and experience to dial in the flavor, but once you get it you'll know how to tweak future recipes to your liking. I also use brewbuilder software, this will give u a general idea about ibus and abvs etc....

I know how this feels, get all ready for a delicious beer and it ends up being weak... And end up disappointed. I dont spend all that time brewing and waiting just to have a wimpy beer!

The main thing i did to increase body and mouth feel of my brews was to increase the crystal malt as well as the 2 row. Basically beef up the grain bill, and add a little more hops to balance the sweetness of the resulting beer. You may even want to increasr the extaxt as well by .5-1 lb. Essentially youre increasing everything in the recipe. It takes practice and experience to dial in the flavor, but once you get it you'll know how to tweak future recipes to your liking. I also use brewbuilder software, this will give u a general idea about ibus and abvs etc....

brew builder software?? Where can I check that out?

bkbrown5881 said:
brew builder software?? Where can I check that out?

Brewmasters Warehouse website, go to open recipe in Brewbuilder, and go from there. I just started using it and its really cool. For instance i just kegged a beer that was just a little too bitter. I plugged the recipe into the brewbuilder, and the ibus came out way too high for the style. So i adjusted the hop schedule, came out great. The program isnt perfect, but it basically does all the calculations for you. Oldschool brews still do the calcs by hand, which i respect, but im using this tool from now on...

The brewbuilder on bmw is a nice feature on that web site, if you want a nice free piece of software for makeing recipes I suggest checking out Brewmate ( www.brewmate.net) not as many features as promash or beersmith but it is very usefull and hasn't let me down yet.

Back