Belgian Session Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I have some 3787 in the fridge and was thinking of making a simple session ale. Something like:

60% Belgian Pils
40% Vienna
OG of around 1.045
Hop with Styrian to 20 IBU and a flavor hop addition.

I thought the Vienna might give a little more body and sweetness than straight Pils. I'm looking for a light belgian with a little sweetness (not too dry), a mild hop flavor and some fruity yeast flavors. Thoughts? I do have 2-Row and 20L & 40L Crystal on hand as well.

Personally, I get more toasty / malty flavors from vienna... not sweetness. With 3787 and that low of a gravity, it'll finish really dry unless you add some crystal or mash a bit high.

Good points. With the Vienna, I guess malty is what I was going for. I use it in my pale ale and like what it adds. To account for high attenuation maybe something like:

65% Belgian Pils
25% Vienna
10% Crystal 20L

?

your recipe is somewhat similar to NB's paters biere kit, which I've made twice and loved. I would personally drop the vienna and go with all Beg. Pils. If you want it to finish higher, mash accordingly.

Back