Fermentation & ABV question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRUbaker

Reaction score
A Scottish Ale extract kit. Recipie states:

ABV%: 3.25% - 3.5%
OG: 1.034 - 1.038
FG: 1.010 - 1.014
Bottle after a week

Current status:
OG = 1.036
In fermentor 2 weeks @ 68f
SG = 1.022

Question - has this batch stalled?

Based on my very limited experience, I'd say let it go a little longer. An IPA batch I'm working on bottling right now was stuck at 1.020 for a while around 2 weeks but today it's at 1.012. Granted, it was in the primary for 6 weeks, so I'm not sure how long it actually took to get down there, but I wouldn't worry too much yet. The yeast might still be working - just on its own time.
(although you should probably wait for the big hitters to weigh in)

a batch should usually take longer to ferment than a week, you won't hurt the beer by letting it sit. give the fermenter a bit of a swirl around to get the yeast back up in suspension, and you should be good to go, just give it another week or so

Ive been warming mine after the second week and onto the third week before botteling.Once its up a little i twist it back and forth to displace the yeast for a new environment to work on.Hopefully it works out -i think it would be worth a try and better than pitching more yeast but yours is close so let it finish it up- nothing wrong with stimulating it a bit.

I'd say it probably has - warm the room a bit, and rock the carboy a slight amount to rouse the yeast and then leave it a week. If in a week nothing has changed, it might be time to pitch new yeast, but do the above first and give it more time.

So i checked the fermentor temp in the early morning and learned that it gets down to 66f at night. Ah-ha! I moved it off the floor onto the table. Where it reads a consistent 70f. I rocked the pail slightly too. Will check again in 2 weeks.

I'm now thinking about getting a germination mat for under the fermentor/s.

Thanks all for the responses.

So i checked the fermentor temp in the early morning and learned that it gets down to 66f at night. Ah-ha! I moved it off the floor onto the table. Where it reads a consistent 70f. I rocked the pail slightly too. Will check again in 2 weeks.

I'm now thinking about getting a germination mat for under the fermentor/s.

Thanks all for the responses.

I would be very careful about stirring or rocking the pail; the last thing you want to do is oxidize the beer.
Give it some more time and take a hydro reading in a few days. Patience is king when brewing.

I would be very careful about stirring or rocking the pail; the last thing you want to do is oxidize the beer.
Give it some more time and take a hydro reading in a few days. Patience is king when brewing.

How would racking the pale add oxygen? If the pail is sealed with an airlock, how would oxygen get in?

Eric

Yikes, 2 weeks is a really long time. Did you ever see any activity, a krausen? Most ales are 70% attenuated within 4 days, based on my experience.

EricCSU,
How would racking the pale add oxygen?

Oops, FensterBos said rOcking not rAcking.

I didnt rock the pail instead i twisted it. From side to side a 1/4 turn once; gently. Word was 'rousing' the yeasts may be helpful. Though i'm more concerned about any loss to the CO2 layer when i opened the lid to check the gravity. I did it quickly but there has been no added air lock activity yet to replace lost CO2.

-

bricklayer38,
the bubbles began almost immediately & ran for 24 hours. Yes it also has krausen residue on the side of the pail too.

The new location reached 72f today vs, the 68 it was getting on the floor for 2 weeks.

Back