HELP! First time brewer emergency (I think)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckNut

Reaction score
Hi all,

So i made my first batch of beer about 10 days ago. I was under the impression I was in posession of a 5 gallon carboy for secondary fermentation, but after racking to secondary, it appears I must have a 6 gallon carboy. My beer is now sitting in the kitchen in the carboy with about a gallon of headspace above it. What should I do? Any immediate help would be greatly appreciated!

Not much you can do at this point. Relax. It will probably turn out good. I've done this a few times. But next time if your planning on a secondary try to keep as little headspace as possible. 1 gallon won't hurt anything.

Best advice out there: RDWHAHB!
Headspace is fine, as long as you're not aging to long. Two weeks in your secondary is more than safe.

Thank you so much for the quick responses. I was positive I had a 5 gallon carboy. I just ordered the kit from Austin Home Brew a couple weeks ago. I guess when the beer is ready to be bottled I'll double check the volume. Perhaps I didn't measure the brew properly going into the primary (the bucket is un-marked) and that is the problem. Anyway, hope all turns out well, I've really enjoyed it up to this point.

Speaking of which...one more question. If I did in fact not add enough water to my wort before primary fermentation, And I ended up with 4 gallons of brew instead of the 5 that the recipe was made for how will that end up? (I forgot to take a hydrometer reading after the boil...I have a lot of things to learn obviously)

You will have a more concentrated beer. I would just check the primary fill it to about where the beer was with a gallon of water at a time. Then you will know how much you made

Speaking of which...one more question. If I did in fact not add enough water to my wort before primary fermentation, And I ended up with 4 gallons of brew instead of the 5 that the recipe was made for how will that end up? (I forgot to take a hydrometer reading after the boil...I have a lot of things to learn obviously)

It will likely be sweeter than it was supposed to be as the sugars aren't as diluted.

Thanks again, I figured the alcohol content might be a little higher. After I posted the question I went back and skimmed the little bit of liquid that was left on top of the yeast cake and tasted it. It actually tasted like i would imagine it should at this point (again, first time so no point of reference) I guess we'll see if a few weeks.

Back