I'm getting beer in my gas line. Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ntense

Reaction score
I have two corny keg full of beer.

My co2 are connected to them to, but I'm wondering why the beer is going up in the hose?

Any ideas? Maybe they are filled too much?

Right now, I only want to carbonize the beer...

thanks.

right off hand i would say you have a leak. i don't know anything about keging but is there such a thing as a 1 way valve similar to what you see with fish tank aerators. its a little valve that goes inline with between the pump and the tank and opens when air is pumped one way through it and closes if the pressure drops below a thresh hold.

Is the temperature varying? If your beer gets warmer, the pressure will go up and the pressure in the beer can be higher than that set by the regulator. In such a case, the beer can back up into the gas line.

I suspect the temperature. They have been stored in a cold place then in a warm place.

The kegs might be too full also.

thanks for the information, it's appreciated!

This will happen if the pressure in the kegs is greater than the pressure the regulator is set to, and the keg is full to the air input line. So it could be the temp went up, but can also be caused if you force carbed the beer at a higher pressure than you are trying to serve it at. Lets say for instance you force cabed the beer at 25-30 psi and left it at that pressure long enough for the beer to get to 20psi worth of carbonation, then you turned it down to 10psi to serve. Since the beer is exerting more than 10psi of pressure it will travel down the input line which is only pushing back at 10psi. In either case just turn off the gas, then bleed some pressure off the keg with the relief valve on top of the keg until it stops traveling down the air line.

Latest posts

Back