British bitter tastes like a Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finn_ethan

Reaction score
Lil' help?

So, I used Wyeast London III to make a few batches (saving yeast from the secondary) and went one brew too far, it seems.

Made a Boddingtons clone and the batch tastes much like a belgian - not ruined but it definately has lots of something else to it. Not sour. Big yeast nose to it in the glass. Almost ripe fruity type smell.

Not light struck etc. Doesn't show signs of infection. 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 10 days in the bottle primed with dextrose. Carbination normal, sediment in bottle normal, little bit of haze to beer.

Wait a few weeks and try again, or is it marinade? Or, re-label and drink it as a belgian (and not admit it was a british bitter)?

Thanks.

My guess would be that there is still a bit of yeast in suspension. Put a bottle in the fridge for several days and then try it... that might force some of the yeast out of suspension.

That's what I would do. Let it carbonate for the full three weeks, and then keep it in the fridge for a few days so the yeast has time to sink to the bottom and create a hard cake.

Back