I want to add whiskey to a stout...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbrewer1

Reaction score
I want to add whiskey to a stout (per request of one of my friends), and was wondering when the best time (and a range of quantity) I should put it in.

I've heard it can go in the during the boil or can be added into secondary. What do you all recommend, plus how much should go in regards to each method?

Add to the secondary. Pull a small sample of your beer and add measured amounts of whiskey to taste. When you reach the desired flavor profile, add a proportional amount of whiskey to the rest of the batch.

if you boil it...it'll suck.

Add it to your bottling bucket.

That's how I did my rum addition to my Bananas on the Beach. and How it works in my Pirate Stout. I figure that a 750 ML bottle in 5 gallons is a nice strong but not over powering (Especially in a stout) flavor. It'll add about 1% to your alcohol, so it's still going to be drinkable. I'd take a shot of good whiskey and experiment with a glass of stout to see how strong you'll like it.

I looked at both of those recipes, and although it certainly has to be made to desirable taste, would a 80 proof whiskey do anything different (besides the taste, of course) than a spirit that is about half that?

Also...both of those recipes sound REALLY good...

Boiling whiskey will kill off the alcohol. At that point, why not save the good whiskey (I'm assuming it's scotch) and just use a flavor extract for 1/5th the cost?

I'd just drop a shot of whiskey into my beer mug and down that. But I'm a heathen like that.

Try soaking oak chips for a couple of weeks then add them to your secondary before bottling I have had good success with adding desired flavors.

A brewery near me ages a stout in Templeton Rye casks, you could probably get a similar effect by aging oak in whiskey and then adding them during secondary.

There have been a lot of posts about adding bourbon to stouts and porters. Most people recommend adding it in secondary or at bottling time. Choose a bourbon/whiskey that stands good on its own (e.g. don't put cheap crap in your beer). I think most people put anywhere from 8 - 16oz, with or without oak chips.

I added about 4 oz of makers mark to the secondary that was soaked in french oak chips and 2 vanilla beans and was a solid amount to use I personally though. Was a nice bourbon flavor there, but not to overpowering. I wouldn't suggest anything more than 8 oz

Any one know the legality of adding liquor to home brew. from what i have read in Texas it is illegal here to add anything that boost the alcohol content after fermentation?

Maybe I will try this when I get home, add some Jack Daniels to the terrible Maple Ale I attempted. I used "Table Maple Syrup" from a local farm in North GA, I think it might have had a preservative in it that did not ferment well...I off flavor to me...Maybe I needs more age.

Maybe the jack will add a lil something lol :D

I added just under a pint of Knob Creek, along with 1 1/2 oak spirals that I soaked in the Bourbon, to an Oatmeal Stout that is conditioning in the secondary of right now.

This is a great idea. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts on the best way do to this.

Latest posts

Back