deciphering my water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
I'm looking at my local water report:

http://www.chesterfield.gov/CommunityDevelopment/Utilities/waterquality04.pdf

I'm also looking at page 263 of Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing 3rd ed.

He lists Calcium, Sulfates, Magnesium, Sodium, and Chloride and lists the parts per million for various beer-heavens from around the world like Pilsen, Dubin, Munich, Mlwaukee.

My water report lists Sulfates but that's it. Nothing else on Papazian's list except my list has Chlorites and Chloramines instead of Chloride. How do I find out the missing information? Is there anything on my water report that takes the place of anything on Papazian's list?

Todd-

Do a search for (or buy!) John Palmer's "How to Brew." It has a very good dicussion on water treatment and water reports. You made need to talk to your water co. engineer to find out the total dissolved solids, hardness, calcium and alkalinity, etc. Palmer 'splains it better in Ch. 15- 'Deciphering your water report."

Sully

This report sucks, but it's the kind of report that you find first. It's a water quality report and lists only the stuff that is of heath concern. Call the town's water department (or e-mail them) and as them for a report that lists the ions in the water.

When I still lived in Cary NC, I had to do some on-line digging to find the report I wanted.

Kai

Yeah, you should be able to find more info on your water than that. They are required to give you the information, so more than likely it is in a report available somewhere on the web.

Latest posts

Back