Newbie Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed my 5th batch yesterday and made my 1st yeast starter (around 16oz). The SG was 1.056... Anyway, after pitching the yeast it was bubbling after about 3 hours, by six hours it was moving.. I know this is a good thing, but this morning there was foam all over the top and in the air lock, is that normal to foam up that much? I haven't had this happen before. (5.5 gallons of wurt in a 7 gallon primary).

My second question is; I bottled a brown ale yesterday and the bottom of the carboy had almost no sediment, It had done 7 days in the primary and 8 in the secondary. Is that good, bad or doesn't matter? (it had been out gassing from the secondary and the FG was 1.010 from a starting 1.048)

It's normal to have foam. The amount just means that the yeast were really happy and plentiful.

As for the second question, you said that there's no trub in the secondary? That's fine. Really, as long as it fermented the amount of trub doesnt matter.

My current batch of brown rye also has little sediment in the secondary, after one week. Looks clear, did when racked from a one week primary. This is also the first time (of 10) that I got my mash done right. My primary seemed slow, but complete. I'll rack today and pitch another batch on the sediment.

If your secondary has little to no sediment, that just means you did a good job racking from primary to secondary;)

Back