NEW StrangeBrew Elsinore Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a clean install here. Nice touch adding the brewery name customization and the mouse pointer. I have a couple new errors (would you prefer issue reporting on Github?):

I get this message on start up:

Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.sb.elsinore.StatusRecorder.compare(StatusRecorder.java:258)
at com.sb.elsinore.StatusRecorder.isDifferent(StatusRecorder.java:205)
at com.sb.elsinore.StatusRecorder.run(StatusRecorder.java:78)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

This I saw last night as I was going to bed and will investigate tonight

And after specifying the GPIO definitions (e.g. java -Dgpio_definitions=extras/beaglebone.json -jar Elsinore.jar), when I go to add a pump or a GPIO for a probe I am told in terminal that:

No definitions file found, assuming direct mapping

Which doesn't work... I try to specify GPIO definitions with ./launch.sh, this happens:

root@beaglebone:~/SB_Elsinore_Server# ./launch.sh -p 8088 -g extras/beaglebone.json
Starting Elsinore as root
May 15, 2014 3:46:03 AM com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl main
INFO: Running Brewery Controller.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:514)
at java.util.Properties.setProperty(Properties.java:161)
at java.lang.System.setProperty(System.java:787)
at com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl.main(LaunchControl.java:254)

Lastly, the timer is still displaying NA's for me.

This is a bug, I'll investigate it. But also, with the BBB you need to ensure you setup the GPIO: http://dougedey.github.io/2014/03/22/BeagleBoneBlack-Setup/

You'll need to create a custom overlay for your GPIO. extras/w1_setup.sh has a basic GPIO exported.

This is a bug, I'll investigate it. But also, with the BBB you need to ensure you setup the GPIO: http://dougedey.github.io/2014/03/22/BeagleBoneBlack-Setup/

You'll need to create a custom overlay for your GPIO. extras/w1_setup.sh has a basic GPIO exported.

I am currently using your precompiled .dtbo file, but will give making a custom one another shot. It was working previously (I was testing with my volt meter off the pins I assigned to 'pumps')

I was also having some problems last night with everything going read only on me (2 or 3 times, requiring reboot), after trying a couple things in the web interface. You can imagine that havoc that causes - temperatures can't log, properties can't be saved, was even having difficulty exiting SB because it wanted to save stuff, but couldn't. I couldn't exactly replicate it last night so I didn't include it in my last post. I'm guessing it's probably due to a filesystem corruption, and not something with the software, but I'll mention it incase it's something you come across yourself.

I am currently using your precompiled .dtbo file, but will give making a custom one another shot. It was working previously (I was testing with my volt meter off the pins I assigned to 'pumps')

You'll need to compile a new one, since the default one only exports

Yes it's a pain, but this will happen with RaspberryPi when they upgrade Kernels too, then it'll be hella painful.

I'm going to look into ways to generate the jGPIO and install it, but since removing a shim is unstable to say the least, I don't think I can do it easily

I was also having some problems last night with everything going read only on me (2 or 3 times, requiring reboot), after trying a couple things in the web interface. You can imagine that havoc that causes - temperatures can't log, properties can't be saved, was even having difficulty exiting SB because it wanted to save stuff, but couldn't. I couldn't exactly replicate it last night so I didn't include it in my last post. I'm guessing it's probably due to a filesystem corruption, and not something with the software, but I'll mention it incase it's something you come across yourself.

Odd, I'll try and catch filesystem errors better.

Fixes: IndexOutOfBoundsException when using GPIOX numbering, NullPointerException from the StatusRecorder on startup, NullPointerException when using the gpio definitions parameter.

Sorry about that guys, I should've been more careful, and I will be in the future.

Enhancement: You can now change a PID back to a temperature probe. It'll delete the settings when you save/shutdown.

Much better Doug still one issue on the RaspberryPi. Once the PID hits temp i get the following.

Jul 30, 2014 11:23:22 PM com.sb.elsinore.OutputControl run
WARNING: Could not control the GPIO Pin during loop. Did you start as root?
WARNING: Could not control the GPIO Pin during loop. Did you start as root?
java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.math.BigDecimal.multiply(BigDecimal.java:1302)
at com.sb.elsinore.OutputControl.run(OutputControl.java:185)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)
WARNING: Kettle turning off outputs

Then I have to shutdown and restart before i can do anything else.

Cant wait to get version 2.0 of the e-brewery running my hiatus of 5 months has been too long.

Fixed now, I never overshot on my setup so I didn't see this.

Basically it's trying to activate the cooling output, but I haven't fully enabled this yet.

Btw: Have you had a chance to try Hammond River Brewing yet? Guy from my homebrew club started a nano brewery (commercial) in Quispamsis

Yeah had his IPA when he first opened 5 months ago or so. It was not bad considering i am not a huge IPA fan.

Trying to figure out what to set my PID values at. I have have 5500 watt element installed in a 50 L pot. I'm doing BIAB and for an average brew heat up 40L of water.

thanks again for everything.

Trying to figure out what to set my PID values at. I have have 5500 watt element installed in a 50 L pot. I'm doing BIAB and for an average brew heat up 40L of water.

thanks again for everything.

If you put the element at 100% with full volume, then time how long it takes to go up by say 20F, average it out to get you the P value.

I.e. if you heat up by 20F in 10mins, your P value is 30s/F

The I and the D require a bit more tuning. More indepth information is here: https://www.instrumart.com/pages/202/manually-tuning-your-temperature-controller

Enhancement: You can now upload a brewery image by clicking the "Choose File" button, I'll try and make this look neater in the future, but for now it works.

Ah OK, I've got to add in error handling on the client when something goes wrong.

Looking good Doug...

Not sure if this version has introduced some new issues on the controller GUI. I was tuning in the PID last night and the controller page was not updating with duty cycle/temp... I ended up using the live data graph and getstatus to get current temp...

There was also a console log of some jquery stuff missing in template/static/file.

if you need logs or anything i can get them for you when I get home after work.

I've uploaded the files to fix the missing files.

I don't think they should've caused a problem with the UI updating though, you'll need to get a console log if it still happens.

Everything seems to be working well for me.

I have noted that when I hit 'off' and then send command, it does turn off the signal to the SSR, however in the power meter in the GUI, it displays whatever the setting is at in the manual mode, instead of displaying zero.

It displays whatever the setting is at in the manual mode, instead of displaying zero.

When it's off the mode is highlited as OFF.

I designed it to show the manual mode setting, I was thinking about hiding the meter when it's off. That may be clearer.

When it's off the mode is highlited as OFF.

I designed it to show the manual mode setting, I was thinking about hiding the meter when it's off. That may be clearer.

I think that would be cleaner. It looks the same if you click off and don't send command than if you do push send. (assuming you go from manual to off..)

I brewed on my Elsinore E-biab system for the first time today - so happy with the experience! Thanks for all the hard work Doug.. I owe you a (bunch of) beer!

Update: The Duty Cycle gauge will no longer be displayed when you turn off the PID

Update: The Duty Cycle gauge will no longer be displayed when you turn off the PID

When you click on off, the duty cycle gauge is no longer displayed, but if you haven't clicked 'send command', the PID is still running (I think anyway). Is it possible to make it so that the duty cycle gauge only goes away once the PID has actually been turned off, or so that the duty cycle gauge is displayed, but shows 0%? I personally think the latter would be better.

You're right, this is fixed, the gauge will only display when the mode isn't OFF on the server. When you click a mode it'll just show you the relevant inputs for you to select to update the server with.

You're right, this is fixed, the gauge will only display when the mode isn't OFF on the server. When you click a mode it'll just show you the relevant inputs for you to select to update the server with.

Just updated, now the gauge isn't displaying at all.

oops wrong commit was pushed. Try updating again. Sorry

Sorry Doug - but now in auto the gauge isn't displaying properly - it shows what manual is set at, not at what the actual % the PID is firing at, i.e. it's indicating 20%, which I have my manual set to, as opposed to 100% which is what auto has it set to, which I confirmed by looking at the PID itself.

Thanks for testing for me, I've just finished adding a second element to my system and I need to clean it out tomorrow before I can brew.

Hey Doug, any plans to add mash profiles to your software? Automated step mashing would be most excellent.

Some minor UI suggestions
-Have timer, pump, update modules same width
-Ability to cancel in the midst of setting up a pump or timer (a set up similar to the PIDs would be great, which did away with the pop ups)
-Ability to reorder and delete timers and pumps in browser

I'm currently assembling a control panel to work with your software... it's very close. Thanks for all of the hard work! You should set up a donation link on the Elsinore homepage...

Cheers!

Hey Doug, any plans to add mash profiles to your software? Automated step mashing would be most excellent.

This is in there, I've got to add it to StrangeBrew Java and then work out a way to add it for the web interface. It'll probably need to be a popup window.

-Have timer, pump, update modules same width

I assume you mean when they have content in them? The issue with this is when you add custom names it gets awkward.

-Ability to cancel in the midst of setting up a pump or timer (a set up similar to the PIDs would be great, which did away with the pop ups)
Just done

-Ability to reorder and delete timers and pumps in browser
Working on it

I'm currently assembling a control panel to work with your software... it's very close. Thanks for all of the hard work! You should set up a donation link on the Elsinore homepage...

Thanks, but I'm always concerned when accepting money (mainly concerned that people start to get exceptionally demanding.

Very nice and clean, I've got to rebuild my temporary box.

Jengevaa, thats awesome. I need to busy on my panel.

Doug, nice work. I've been busy setting up my greenhouse as my brewery. Just a few more final touches and it will be ready and I can get back on this. I like the new features you have added.

Re-ordering is done (and it saves to the config file). I'll work on deleting stuff tomorrow. But I had to do a lot of changes for this.

You can now delete Pumps and timers from the web UI (included some visual refactoring of the timers to improve the look of them)

Mash Profiles can now be added/reordered from the WEB UI. All PIDs will have the option to set them up.

Note; for now, you will need to add a method and a type (this is because it was designed for the StrangeBrew Desktop application).

Also: I'm shattered so I've got it working with some basic testing, all the theory is sound. I've not tried deleting (drag -> del -> drop) yet, but it might work)...

I've been watching a soccer game (Ottawa Fury), visiting multiple breweries, and driving a lot today. So I'm gonna crash.

Brew safe my friends.

(Oh: and if you really want to give me money, look at gittip, same username)

I did a double back to back brewday today, 40 Gallons in total, so I'm shattered.

But I have found and fixed a number of papercuts & bugs.

Andy (cmpterman) has also provided some updates to allow the status recorder to only record a data point if the change goes over the threshold, so there'll be less data points and the graph will be cleaner. By default it's 0.15, but you can use "-r <value>" to override this.

Latest posts

Back