The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used to have issues all the time at the old house, but thankfully nothing ever burst. When it was built, they hadn't quite figured out not to put all the water pipes in the exterior walls.

The real problem is that the pipes were over insulated... from the warmth of the house. Six inches of insulation between the warm basement and the pipes. The only thing between those pipes and the air was the joists - a 10' section was basically exposed to the cold air. Mix the exposed pipes with the shut off zone (who knew? we don't use that side of the house much and it only got down to 49) and you get a frozen heating zone. Now the insulation has been corrected, heat is on (i swear i won't shut it off until June), and thankfully nothing burst. I'm going to chalk this up to my learning curve in the new house.

Man, if the main part of your house only got down to 49, but a section still froze, we were luckier than I thought - we got home two weeks ago from a Caribbean vacation to find that a transformer from the thermostat to the furnace died, and our house had been at 41 degrees for 3-4 days. Luckily, no frozen pipes at all, but that was right before the big freeze. Glad all your running water is still inside the pipes.

The previous owners of my house shut down the house without draining the pipes. They ripped out the insulation and dethawed the pipes. The problem is they never replaced the insulation. I found some places where I was basically heating the outside instead of the inside. Temperature is bad but it's the draft that can run across the pipes that will really freeze it.

My pipes froze the other night on the north side of the house. Found more areas of no insulation and they rested the pipe on the cold foundation. Wtf!

They do sell "pipe warmers" if you want to shut off that area. It's basically a low level heating coil you wrap around the pipe. That should do the job and only sip a little bit of electricity. You can get those at HD/Lowes

The previous owners of my house shut down the house without draining the pipes. They ripped out the insulation and dethawed the pipes. The problem is they never replaced the insulation. I found some places where I was basically heating the outside instead of the inside. Temperature is bad but it's the draft that can run across the pipes that will really freeze it.

My pipes froze the other night on the north side of the house. Found more areas of no insulation and they rested the pipe on the cold foundation. Wtf!

They do sell "pipe warmers" if you want to shut off that area. It's basically a low level heating coil you wrap around the pipe. That should do the job and only sip a little bit of electricity. You can get those at HD/Lowes

Yeah, those cold, windy nights with the pipes in the exterior walls and drafts coming in; there's really no amount of pipe insulation that's going to keep those from freezing up. When I redid the kitchen, we ended up moving a bunch of pipes from the exterior wall to an interior one, just to keep them out of that intensive cold. And of course, it's really hard to tell EXACTLY where the pipe's frozen, so you're just kind of randomly hitting the pipes with the hair dryer/heat gun and just hoping that you're getting the right spot.

We were pretty much at the point of having the water in the pipes replaced with antifreeze. They can do that, but the plumbers don't like doing it because I'm pretty sure it's going to corrode the pipes out a lot quicker.

From my experience if youre within 10' of the frozen area (taking that it isn't completely frozen) and you have a little patience the hair dryer will eventually thaw it out. Plus you don't have to create any holes in the wall. I bet it's good advice not to hit the frozen area with heat even with the hair dryer. That it would thaw too quick much like using a blow torch. Just theory.

I had been wanting to rip my area of pipe out for a while but was hesitant because it was hard to get to and figure where it went. I crossed my fingers at midnight and guessed correctly and cut the pipe. The other pissa was when I pulled it out they had cut the pipe a long time ago to the outside faucet. So it was just probing out into the cold area on the outside of insulation. A great heat/cold sink for the internal pipe. I wanna take a blow torch to whomever's ass created this mess. Someone will probably say the same thing about me in 10 years :)

We just moved the insulation from the inside side of the pipe to the outside and ran some space heaters in the general area of the pipes. took two days however they thawed.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say that NOBODY wants to hear about Cape doing any spinning on whale sex organs.

On a related front... Is it me or where these two dudes seperated at birth?

tumblr_inline_mxynvuGgNw1qz58pq.jpg

WTF is going on with the F'ing Patriots? I'm so f'ing pissed off at this team - or is it just Belichick, or some random Ball Boy? Just when we should be enjoying the moment, and another run at the Superbowl, somebody has to do something that puts another asterisk next to the team. I just don't get it. And how long is it going to take to make this go away? Spygate was in '07, and you'd think it happened last month, even before this latest farce.

Back