Would newbies idea work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
So today I bottled batch #2 and got 25 740 ml bottles (625 oz) and I am using Coopers carbonation drops as my priming sugar. I've gotten great results for carbonation on my first brew - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/coopers-carbonation-drops-pic-review-87589/
but want to start using priming sugar since its 4 times cheaper. I have 2 primaries one of them with a spigot (Coopers). I think what I want to accomplish is doable but it doesnt hurt to ask and get other people's opinion.

I want to use batch #3 (AHS Newcastle clone) thats in my Primary 2 and transfer it to Primary 1 (Coopers bucket with spigot / bottle filler). After it matures and gets target FG can I add priming sugar to the Primary 1 and bottle it like that. My dilemma is that I dont want to get a separate bottling bucket because it wont be used for anything else then that. My Coopers can act as primary, secondary, bottling bucket.

I think its definitely doable :)

The problem is that to properly mix in your priming sugar, you're going to stir up everything at the bottom that you've taken time to let settle out.

Yes I would stir it carefully and then wait 1-2 hours for everything to settle down. Today on my 26th (unofficial bottle) I tilted the bucket and let it settle down for an hour and drained the last bottle. I am putting it aside because I am guessing it will have more of the yeast compared to other bottles.

Why not just get a spigot for your other fermenter? That way you can prime your batches in a clean bucket with a spigot no matter what.

Why not just get a spigot for your other fermenter? That way you can prime your batches in a clean bucket with a spigot no matter what.

It would be full. For my next fermentation vessel I am thinking of another Coopers bucket if I can find it for sale used somewhere or another one of the $20 with s/h 9 gallon bucket that I picked up on Ebay - 9 gallon Air Tight plastic barrel beer & wine fermenter - eBay (item 120324315517 end time Nov-25-08 09:12:13 PST)

With 3 buckets I'll be set, the whole point is having 3 being utilized as more then just a bottling bucket.

As for me there is no way that I am messing with a bed of sediment and debris that I just waited 3 - 8 weeks to have settle out. A couple hours, or a couple days, rest is not going to undo that. Especially when I could buy a big bucket and spigot and build a bottling bucket for about $10, or better yet, buy a nice 6 Gallon Better Bottle for $21. (Personally, I don't like using a bucket for anything but bottling.)

As for me there is no way that I am messing with a bed of sediment and debris that I just waited 3 - 8 weeks to have settle out. A couple hours, or a couple days, rest is not going to undo that. Especially when I could buy a big bucket and spigot and build a bottling bucket for about $10, or better yet, buy a nice 6 Gallon Better Bottle for $21. (Personally, I don't like using a bucket for anything but bottling.)

Better Bottle with spigot adapter = $50 ;) for $20 I'd rather take my 9 gallon food grade plastic bucket with free shipping. I am also waiting for SuperiorBrew to start selling his PET carboy project to be available in 7 gallons.

Go down to a local bakery and get a couple frosting or invert sugar buckets. They'll give them to you for free, with lids.

Better Bottle with spigot adapter = $50 ;) for $20 I'd rather take my 9 gallon food grade plastic bucket with free shipping. I am also waiting for SuperiorBrew to start selling his PET carboy project to be available in 7 gallons.

I have no need of a spigot on a fermenting carboy. I rack off the top of the sediment bed with a cane. 6 Gal $21 no shipping I just drive a mile to pick it up.

The point is, and you're making my case for me. It is cheaper to buy a new bucket than the cost in quality and aggravation of trying to juggle brewing and racking and bottling without a dedicated bottling bucket.

Back