Drank a Bud ughhhh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hercules Rockefeller said:
While we are on the subject of confessions, I must admit to liking the occasional 12 pack of American Beer. That is the brand name, not the category. It is white with a red and blue bunting design around the top of the can, and most importantly it is "brewed with the bravery and courage that made America great" Of course there is little to no flavor, but when you shotgun it they're perfect for chugging.
My Dad used to drink that when I was a kid! I used to call it "Red, White & Blue".

I had a handful of ThudLights last night. Went to the Sportsmans Expo Show with my bro and a cousin, had one there, and then off to a local choke'l for some pizza wings and beer. Hey, I have no problem slumming!

tonight however is Skibbereen Pale Ale for me (only 3 litres left:(), and possibly brewing, if I can get out early enough to make it to the LHBS...

hurrah!!! for the champaign of bottled beer. i like it in the summer when it' s 100 with 100% humidity.

i like genessee cream ale as well...

and i'll drink anything if it's free. don't like to offend hosts and such ;)

t1master said:
hurrah!!! for the champaign of bottled beer.

I saw a (MIller?) truck with "The Champagne of Beers" painted on it. I couldn't even figure out what the hell they were trying to say to me.

I can only assume that they meant it was fizzy and gave you headaches.

-walker

it's my grandfather's spirit living within me... i swear. i stumbled down the same path he forged, unknowningly. my old man laughs at me alot, and says, you remind me of harry...:D

it's a celebration beer. part of their old add campaign, and one of the better tasting miller mass produced, imo of course. i've not allowed enjoying good beer to come in the way of hovelling with the masses ;)

Okay, Bud and Miller aren't your favorites. So what is the absolute worst?
I vote Milwaukee's Best Ice, worst beer. I can't force even one can down

Anyone ever have Grainbelt Beer? I remember a few years ago Otto's Liquor in Milwaukee got a deal on a whole truckload of the stuff. They were selling it for about $1.99 a six-pack and $2.99 for a 12. The stuff really wasn't too bad (heck, for the price it didn't have to be THAT good-- bottled water costs more). I seem to recall buying quite a bit of it until they ran out.

My vote for worst beer is miller high life. The only time I bought it on purpose was when my friends and I needed to get drunk cheap. Man did I have hard time choking that stuff down, yeeeuck. I had to get the beer bong so I didn't have to taste it.

Here in oz the local beers (with the exception of Tasmanian Beers) are really not as widely drunk as they once were.
Us Aussie males and females are turning our attention to quality european beers such as Pilsner Urquell, Schofferhofer, Old Speckled Hen etc.
We produce some fantastic beers outa Tassie, Cascade, James Boags etc Coopers beers are also very popular.

Certainly passe to turn up to a BBQ with Victoria Bitter, Carlton Cold and Fosters.

Civilized lot nowadays us Aussies!!

Hey Pale Ale Dale,

I've had a few Victoria Bitters. I thought it was a pretty good brew. Except we always said VB really stood for Viscious B**ch. They usually provided a hell of a hang over the next day.

Pale Ale Dale,

Is Swan Lager still popular in your neck of the woods. It seemed to be the locals brew of choice when I was there.

My mentor brews a beer not unlike a really flavorful Sam Adams style beer.
(I'm new so please bear with me) any way the beer is very good and I can see where you can get spoiled on home brew because the store bought is just not as good. This has happened with me and BBQ. Real BBQ is cooked low and slow with painstaking work with all kinds of technique. only thing different from brewing is that you can really screw up BBQ if you don't pay attention, and if you buy crappy meat. We no longer buy BBQ out as we can make much better at home. i can't wait to have my first batch. have a 25 year veteran as a mentor. We are doing malt extract with hops and his recipe. Everything is going well so far I'm in at 10 days of fermentation. Will move to a secondary to further reduce the yeast transfer to the keg.

Gregg,

merc said:
Hey Pale Ale Dale,

I've had a few Victoria Bitters. I thought it was a pretty good brew. Except we always said VB really stood for Viscious B**ch. They usually provided a hell of a hang over the next day.

Some say it stands for very best! They do have great ads though! Very Ocker!!

PanzerOfDoom said:
Pale Ale Dale,

Is Swan Lager still popular in your neck of the woods. It seemed to be the locals brew of choice when I was there.

No not really, all the old pubs with old crew in have just about been finished up.

Suggest you try any of the James Squire brews they have a PILs, Amber Ale, Indian Pale Ale and a fantastic Porter.

Cascade Stout is unbeatable as well..

XTrmXJ said:
I went to a party some time ago and one of my friend bought a keg of some BUD LIGHTon draft, I poured some took a drink and poured it out, I ended up drinking Diet Pepsi..

Also last night I was working on my Axle swap for my XJ and my neighbor came over and brought some COORS LIGHT... UGGGGGG

I was at Sonny's and noticed that a table next to ours was drinking beer. When the waitress came to take our order I asked her what beer they had. When she told me all they had was Bud and Bud Light, I ordered a sweet tea. :ban:

mmditter said:
Confession time: I actually like Miller Lite. I can't explain why, but I do. Whatever they did when they invented that stuff, they hit on something.

I like it too - it is what it is. It's refreshing, light and has a hint of taste.

Genghis77 said:
Okay, Bud and Miller aren't your favorites. So what is the absolute worst?
I vote Milwaukee's Best Ice, worst beer. I can't force even one can down

Old Style - 100% pure piss water

i was binnys liquer and they had a 4 pack of Miller Chocolate Lager "Special Reserve". It was goin for 8.99 way too much for me to give it a try. Guess there trying to market to us drinkers with wider pallets.

Walker-san said:
We drank this stuff like.... well, like water right after high school. It was cheap cheap cheap. We always called it "river beer" because we only drank it when we stayed weekends at my buddy's family's little cottage on the Little Auglaize river in Ohio. Eventually I kept calling it river beer because I was sure that's what it was made with.

-walker

Back when...i was a BMC drinker and we had a local beer strike, The only beer available to us was imported beer from the liquor store.
The cheap stuff was old milwaukee and lone star. We bought it by the 24
case and it was treated like water compared to the beer we were used to.
I'd have a 24 case next to me when I was driving. ( wouldn't try it now though).
Come to remember ....when you got use to the flavor (or lack of) it wasn't too bad. Come to think of it, I haven't drank too many bad beers, just different beers.:mug:

We have a restaurant/bar in down Des Moines called Buzzard Billy's Flying Carp Cafe. Thursday nights is "Crappy Beer Night" Just upped the price awhile back to $1.25 cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon, Hamm's, Schlitz, Old Style, Miller High Life, Old Milwaukee, Old Style Light and Gold & Premium. I always choose PBR as my choice of "crap." When it comes down to it I can still drink Bud Light a lot easier than Miller Light. But for the money Premium by Grain Belt can't be beat. It's like $6 a case!! I always laugh when I see a bottle because it reminds me of the cartoons and movies of the cans of beer that just said "beer" across 'em... but lets get real in this conversation... The darker the better! If I can't see through the beer I usually won't drink it, but there's always those nights when ya just gotta drink the "piss"

My old man is a Coors Light drinker...that has to be the worst beer ever. Even the nastier tasting ones at least have some flavor - Coors Light tastes like carbonated water. No kidding, it tastes just like that expensive Italian crap my wife buys when I could carbonate it in a corny for free.

What really kills me is that here in Nebraska, all the "cowboys" (of which there are precious few real ones, I've worked on a ranch and I'm more cowboy than 99% of them, even though I now spend my days remote accessing into servers :) ) think Coors Light is Cowboy Beer. Apparently if you're a tough guy you drink Coors Light, the wimpiest, weakest beer around.

Now that I've got that off my chest, my favorite crappy beer used to be Falstaff. I was bummed when they discontinued it. Partly because it used to be brewed in Omaha (way back in the day), and partly because of the look on my dad's face when he came over and saw all the Falstaff cans littering my garage.

Back in Med school we used to go to a local bar/restaurant that had Stagg at 50 cents per can. It was ice cold, and was fine if you drank it fast and tried not to belch.

We used to recite the Stagg logo by heart:

"Stagg: Golden Quality Since 1851."

Hey, it was cheap, cold, and available, and we were broke, hard up and thirsty.

ahoym8e said:
I like Coors just becase it is from Colorado (my favorite place). otherwise it has very few redeeming qualities.
Being from Colorado, my first experience drinking beer was with Coors. I've always liked their products. As a matter of fact, I still enjoy a cold one on a hot day.
I will say that home brewing has changed my perception of Coors as well as Miller and Bud. To me they are all like drinking water compared to my brews.

It is strange how waterlike most commercial beer is. I think it just goes to show that the people who enjoy them over beer with flavor really don't like the taste of beer and would rather drink alcoholic water.

This reminds me of a miller lite commercial I saw recently where there was a group of miller drinkers discussing fruit in beer. One of them said "Don't fruit the beer!" "Mans law!" And everyone agreed. It must have been a previous Man's law to not 'Beer' the beer either!:D

it seems in very recent advertising, pushing 'manliness' is even more popular than before. ive seen about 100 Milwaukee's Beast commercials (its ALL they show during WSOP on ESPN) with a giant can of beer squashing guys who arent acting manly. and those coors ads with the famous men sitting around a conference table making mans laws. i know its always been pushed as a man's drink, but i think the BMC's see the growing craft beer industry as a threat, and are now challenging all of america's manhood.

When I was in the USMC I drank bud regular. It was a staple to us. When the Marine barrracks blew up in Lebonon, Anheiser sent Bud & bottled water to us Jarheads.

And "NO!!" to you wise guys the water was not in the bud cans!!!

I will drink BMC if its all that's offered. Bud regular is my choice out the three.

What pisses me off more than anything else is skunky a$$ beer. I got it from Sam Adams, Miller, Blue Moon, Pete's Wicked Ale.

Each time I take it back get something else. Many times I get Rolling Rock, seems to never disappoint....

I'll drink watery beer before drinking skunky crap.

The only problem with homebrewing is that you get more picky as you get more experience. I see this with mine own. I see the flaws and sometimes I have to drink two or three for greater appreciation. :D

The best tasting beer I ever had was "Banks Beer" from Jamaica, I think. :fro: I was on a catamaran in the Carribean sailing off a Coral Reef in St Thomas.....

Quite a tasty coppery malt. Aha!!!

I like a Miller Lite when Im out drinking at the bars on the weekends. Cheaper, lower alcohol so I can drink more, and once you're drunk....who cares?

Allthough, a pitcher of Miller Lite (64 oz) is now 8 bucks. Instead of the usual 5.75

Schlenkerla said:
What pisses me off more than anything else is skunky a$$ beer. I got it from Sam Adams, Miller, Blue Moon, Pete's Wicked Ale.

Each time I take it back get something else. Many times I get Rolling Rock, seems to never disappoint....

Yeah, even from the bigger "craft breweries" like Petes and Sam Adams, you can find skunky beer, because you can often find that stuff in the "gourmet" beer section at most supermarkets, and even many gas stations. Stock boys at grocery stores and gas stations don't know any better than to keep it cool and out of sunlight.

And, um, I'm not sure what you're talking about WRT Rolling Sock. That crap is perpetually skunked. I'm not talking about bad bottles, I'm talking about the recipe. They put skunk juice into it or something. Either that, or it's the green btls. But every single bottle I've ever had has tasted like it'd been sunbathing for a few weeks.

The only problem with homebrewing is that you get more picky as you get more experience. I see this with mine own. I see the flaws and sometimes I have to drink two or three for greater appreciation. :D

This isn't native to homebrewing, this is pretty much the case with most things in life. As you read better literature, or even write your own, you get more picky. As you eat better food, or even cook your own recipes, you get more picky. This is not a "problem".

Chimone said:
I like a Miller Lite when Im out drinking at the bars on the weekends. Cheaper, lower alcohol so I can drink more, and once you're drunk....who cares?

Allthough, a pitcher of Miller Lite (64 oz) is now 8 bucks. Instead of the usual 5.75

If it's a good, quick, cheap drunk I'm looking for, then rail booze makes much more sense to me than BMC.

Latest posts

Back