Dry Hopping: SS ball bearings instead of marbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_hearted

Reaction score
Anyone use SS ball bearings, nuts or other hardware in lieu of marbles to weigh down their mesh bag while dry hopping? I can't see any downside to this other than a tiny price difference.

I've heard rumblings or not-so-great things (lead) in marbles manufactured in China and prefer not to consume any.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FMWECU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd expect ball bearings to be fine, but would avoid anything like nuts/bolts with places for crud to collect.

I've got a bag of big chrome balls that I could use... Heavy mothers too... :ban:

Just be careful if you're dropping it into a glass carboy. Don't want it to hit the bottom too hard. If in a PET carboy, you should be fine...

I'm still trying to decide if I should bag my dry hops, or let them roam free...

Cool dudes, thanks for the info. I figured it would be a good idea, but whenever I assume something will be fine I usually read up on here and learn something new or better.

If you are bagging hops and using a carboy, think carefully about the size and shape of what you toss inside to weigh the bag down. What goes in dry can be a PITA to remove when soaked with wort and holding an odd shaped object. Experienced a bag ripping event way back in the early days.

Latest posts

Back