Step Mashing w/ Infusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfowler1

Reaction score
For those who have tried 2 stage infusion mashes.....

Did you notice any change in the character of the finished product? I do not have the ability to directly heat my mash tun, but it seems like it would not be too hard to do two mash stages (say 140/145 for 40 minutes and 156 for 20) by infusing boiling water.

I am thinking about changing my process, but I was interested to hear some thoughts.

Thanks,
Joe

I haven't noticed any flavor differences, if that's what you're asking. Step mashing will increase your efficiency a little bit, but other than that, it's not really needed. The only time I use a step mash is when I'm using pilsner malt or lots of wheat/oats/corn/rice. I'll do a protein rest on those malts, but with today's malt quality, it's probably not necessary. The protein rest just helps to reduce chill haze. If you're not having problems with that, or you don't care... then I wouldn't bother.

Latest posts

Back