Quick question about solenoid/pilot valve parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hophazard

Reaction score
Hey all - I'm about to start ordering parts to begin my Brutus. After many hours of reading posts (many thanks to kladue, sawdustguy and mnbugeater), I think I've about figured out what I'll need from a solenoid and pilot valve standpoint. I'll be using the Love TS-13010 controllers with the low-pressure propane Hurricane burners.

Unfortunately, my line of work does not require me to do anything that would be useful in building a brewstand, so I've decided to stay as close to the well-worn Brutus path as possible. I'm planning on using the STC solenoids and Honeywell pilot burner and thermocouple that mnbugeater used, but since I'm using low pressure propane, I was planning on ordering the BASO H15CA-1 Pilot Valve instead of the H19.

After reading other posts, I don't see why this wouldn't work with the other components, but I also wasn't able to find anyone using these exact parts. Was just looking for a quick sanity check or a "you won't blow yourself up using these parts together". Thanks in advance.

How about making the build a bit cheaper and easier by replacing the solenoid and Baso pilot with a 24 V furnace valve for about $70. With a pilot burner, thermocouple, and a shared 120 / 24V 40Va transformer it should be less than $100 per burner, normally less than the STC solenoid and a Baso pilot safety valve. Quite a few have gone that route for a simpler and cheaper safe gas control build with a standing pilot furnace valve. If you need help with part numbers just ask and I can help with part numbers and links.

Thanks Kladue - I have to admit I didn't really understand much when I decided to go the solenoid/pilot valve route. I've done some more reading and I don't understand why people wouldn't choose the furnace valve. Especially since it does the exact same thing for 1/2 the price.

It looks like this thread about the Honeywell VR8200A2132 has a list of all of the necessary parts.

So is there any reason that people using low-pressure LP aren't using the furnace valve?

Not sure why others are trying to get there the hard way, might be the "Brutus" information that everyone finds first could use some updating. For the price the furnace valve low pressure setup is about the lowest cost, simplest approach to safe automatic burner control.

Back