Blood Orange IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtpHokie

Reaction score
so I was thinking about doing a SMaSH IPA with MO and ? (haven't decided on hop yet). Also wanted to add some blood orange.

Looking for suggestions on what hop to use and when/how to incorporate the blood orange.

I am brewing with a 10 gallon system (all grain, 10 gallon mash tun and 10 gallon kettle, two-stage fermentation, 5 gallon keg).

Been considering making a blood orange IPA as well. My plan wast to zest a couple blood oranges and add it to the boil and/or secondary. Was going to use WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale yeast to try and get that tartness that come with blood oranges. Perhaps Citra or Cascade for the hops. Hope this helps. Maybe someone else can add in with their experiences. Cheers!

right on...i was going to something fast fermenting like SafAle s0-4 and finishes real clean. I really want the MO and hops to stand out. Obviously looking to that nice bittersweet citrus from the blood orange.

I kind of figured i would zest several and add to the boil with about 5 min or so left but am really curious to hear some experiences others have had with citrus.

Was wondering if adding the fruit directly to the secondary would yield positive results or if it would potentially ruin the beer.

I dont know why but i feel like centennial would work great mixing with cascade in there! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I feel like blood orange zest at flameout and dry hop would be good. Amarillo/Centennial/Cascade would be good and magnum would work well for bittering IMO.

Back