Iron water and house flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selfsufficient

Reaction score
I still consider myself a beginner and my question to the Masters is, my water is full of iron and I brew with it, what house flavors will I encounter? Can that flavor be described so that I can isolate it? I have drank Granite City brews and they also have a house flavor that transends every beer they offer. I think its the water but I would love someone to..........verify my latest experiment. I went all RO with additives to make my water?

Ed Wort's Apfelwein was the reason I began to think about the water. It was Exceptional so I knew that I am clean, clean, clean. Temperature fermenting is not a problem. Might just be the water?

does the finished product taste like your drinking liquid metal? if not get an inline water filter that removes iron.

Iron will taste like iron. Probably great for dark beers and suck for lighter beers. You can get a activated charcoal filter that will take out bad taste for like $30.

On a side note - true New York Style Pizza has a house flavor in their pizza dough!

Back