garage too cold for fermenting lagers in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoman

Reaction score
I finally got a used cheezer and now have a dedicated fridge and freezer. I bought one temp controller. My plan was to use the fridge for fermenting lagers, regulating temps for 65 degree ale ferments, etc. as my basement averages in the low 70s. I planned all of this during the late summer and now realize that my garage stays pretty cold. Winter highs will be in the low 40s here and lows at freezing or below. So, my fermenter won't get high enough to ferment lagers or cool ales?!?!?!?! I don't want to move my fridge inside, although that seems like my only option now. I'd rather use the cheezer for kegs since it holds so many more. Anyway, any alternatives y'all use or know about??? I guess this is why people use the brew belts, etc?

CB

Terrarium heater, Ceramic Infrared Heater (screw type like a bulb), Brew belt. etc...

I like the terrarium heater simply beacuse if I need to, I can wrap it and strap it directly to the fermenter.

gila... gila monster.... terrarium... i'm seeing a trend. I used to work in a pet store (fish dept) and know about these heaters, lights, etc.

i like the idea

Do you mean inside the fridge or just in the garage? I guess either way but I'm wondering if inside the fridge would be okay.

gila... gila monster.... terrarium... i'm seeing a trend. I used to work in a pet store (fish dept) and know about these heaters, lights, etc.

i like the idea

Do you mean inside the fridge or just in the garage? I guess either way but I'm wondering if inside the fridge would be okay.

Inside the fridge box plugged into the controller. That's how I do it in my garage in the winter. The terrarium heater I use can get my 16 cubic foot chest to 90*f in 24 hours. I don;t recommned using the adhesive backing tho'. Just let it "dangle" unless you strap it to the fermenter. I chose the terrium heater as opposed to the others due to the UL listing the terrarium heater carries. It's basically a heating pad.

I used it both for fermentations and when I wasn't doing that I used it to maintain serving temp. I have since gotten a second chest and moved the keezer indoors but, will still use the heater in winter when brewing.

Plain light bulbs work well too. I ferment in clear containers so i cover the fixture with aluminum foil and use standard 40w bulbs in the winter. Just connect them to your controller and set to heating mode as other have said above.

Back