if you build it, we will brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone else here took the time and money to build and buy everything you need to do large AG brews before even doing a small AG brew?
I have two burners, a 30gt pot for my HLT, bought and built an 80qt MLT, bought a SS 60qt pot to brew in, and last night I started to build my 3 tier brew tower.

I know that I can do an AG brew without half that stuff and stuff that big. But I know that I want to do big beers and larger then 5gl batches some day. So I figured, what the hell, lets go big. :D

I went from 5 gallon partial mash with just a couple pots and a turkey cooker to a full blown 25 gallon AG system.

The 30 gallon pots were cheap and I couldn't pass up the chance to upgrade and go AG.

in my next house I plan a better setup. but my 'starter' home sure is easy on the wallet :)

My system grew as I learned, but I have a friend that wants to brew, and he is building a 3-tier stand with three burners, a kegging setup, the whole shebang. He has been building this thing for about a year and a half, and hasn't brewed a single batch! Not even extract batches! With him, it's more the building than anything.

Get a kettle this big.

7674-Rub-a-dub-dub.jpg

Jester has one.

I actually did this exact thing... except I hadn't even brewed extracts before jumping into a large all-grain batch. I had my curiosity piqued by a friend who was also curious about homebrewing and I researched it for about 6 months off and on. I figured I would have this hobby for a long time, so I might as well go all out (at least as far as making up the $ difference in buying commercial beer!) I built a 3-tier keg system w/ 3 burners and added a chest freezer with temp. control. I got 4 Better Bottles (two 6's and two 5's) and all of the other brewing/fermenting bric-a-brac. During my research stage, I took more of an interest in German-style lagers for some reason. I concocted my own recipe for a Munich Helles and when I finally got everything built, I didn't really know how to make an ale without doing more research. So, I brewed a lager for my first batch and haven't even drank it yet because it's still lagering. So far it seems to be going very well (gravity samples taste great!). I'm brewing a bitter this weekend and it should be ready about the same time as the lager. I can relate with what Bernie said about his friend. When I was nearly completing my set-up, I was worrying if I was going to consider the actual brewing part to be fun because I was having so much fun building everything. Then, on brew day it all came together!

Latest posts

Back