Thanksgiving "Find" (with pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneHands

Reaction score
Thought I'd share. Took my family on the 10 hour trip down to my folks' house in Florida for Thanksgiving. A while back, I had asked my dad to make a mash paddle for me when he got a chance, he made two. Both out of cherry. The first one he put butcher block oil on it, it looks great, but after discussing my fears about the oil potentially having some detrimental effects to the beer, he cut out a new one. I'm tempted to use the nice looking one anyway, it just looks that good. Anyone had any issues with trace amounts of butcher block oil?

We talked about the first batch of beer my brother and I made back in 1994 (I was 21), he mentioned he still had the bottles, some of them maybe even full. We looked in the shed and sure enough, he had them. Finally, I found the two cases of the "good" returnable BMC bottles they used to make (with the pry off top), not the thin twist-offs they make now. They didn't have any of our original batch in them, apparently he had dumped it out years ago. I remember it being pretty bad - fermented near 80, poor sanitation, the whole 9 yards - but I would've put one in the fridge just to try it anyway. I'm actually disappointed I couldn't try my 15 year old first batch.
He also made a new base for my capper, out of the same cherry as the mash paddles (same tree).

He also had our 5 gallon glass carboy (purchased at Waccamaw), but I couldn't fit it in the vehicle for the trip home - took the kids and the bottles instead. Overall, a good haul.

Hope the link works for the pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/robvermillion/Thanksgiving#

Nice toys with some story and memories behind them. If you're worried about the butcher block oil I would use the non treated version for the mash and the "pretty" version for display.

Appreciate the replies. On the bottles, I know I'll feel weird saying "Hey, that's one of my 'good' Miller Lite bottles, you can't have it!"

As far as the mash paddles go, I'll probably just use the untreated one, see how it darkens and ages, and leave the butcher block oil treated one as a display. I know there is probably no risk, but he made two, so I'll use the other.

Back