How does Maris Otter compare to Pale Ale malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubberband

Reaction score
I made a bulk purchase of Pale Ale malt and would like to brew up an ordinary bitter. Most recipes trying to replicate a genuine English bitter use Maris Otter I am wondering if I would notice a significant difference by using Pale Ale malt?

I'm probably going to use the Pale Ale malt that I have but I don't have any experience with Maris Otter and would like an experienced comparison. The newest issue of Zymurgy covers session beers and I am thinking of brewing one of the recipes with the Pale Ale malt.

If you want to get a bit of that MO flavor, try throwing in a bit of biscuit/Victory. It's not precisely the same, but it will get you closer.

Marris Otter is a cultivar, Pale Ale malt refers to the malting process, independent of the specific barley used.

Most, if not all, Marris Otter malt is Pale Ale malt, since there is such high demand for it.

There is a very nice article on BYO's website about this subject:

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Recipes - Could you please cover the major types and strains of barley used in brewing?

You should be fine with the Pale Ale malt.. I would not make recipe adjustments. The only thing is that you may notice an additional depth of flavor if you try the same recipe with Marris Otter malt, but it is quite subtle.

There is a very nice article on BYO's website about this subject:

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Recipes - Could you please cover the major types and strains of barley used in brewing?

You should be fine with the Pale Ale malt.. I would not make recipe adjustments. The only thing is that you may notice an additional depth of flavor if you try the same recipe with Marris Otter malt, but it is quite subtle.

Thank you for the link, I will definitely do some research. I tried searching HBT for the topic and found a lot of Maris Otter mentions but not quite what I was looking for.

Latest posts

Back